Burkert Solenoids: gas flow direction is important in preventing leaks

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Well, as some of you know I had to send my brand spakin' new Buna-N sealed Burkert solenoid back to the Burkert engineers in Charlotte, NC because, after installing it on my new VTS253A-1993 regulator, the gas flow would not shut off (the valve would not close).

SPecifically:

I'd power the solenoid on and gas would flow normally.
I'd disconnect the power cable and the gas would still flow at 4+bps (The solenoid is suppose to close when the power is off and the gas flow is suppose to stop).

The leak was so bad, I could hear a hiss comming through teh solenoid when it was suppose to be shut!

It turns out, and some of you may know this (but I didn't), that despite the solenoid being called a "2-way" solenoid, it is only designed to have gas flow pass one way.

The problem according to the Burkert engineers was that I plugged my solenoid in backwards!

SO to avoid this same problem, I have decided to do another DIY to show you how to switch the solenoid around into the right position--where the gas flow is going in the right direction.

Here is what Dan sent when I asked him about the solenoid being "2-way.":

And no, the P = pressure port, the valves ore not identical on each side, the pressure side is ported to the spring on seat.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
If you look at your solenoid, you will notice that it comes from the factory with an "A" and a "P" printed on the metal portion of your solenoid.

Here's what it looks like:
burkertgasdirectional002.jpg

Gas is meant to flow from "P" (tank side) to "A"

Here is the reverse side. You'll notice "NPT" punched in the brass or stainless portion of the solenoid:
burkertgasdirectional003.jpg

burkertgasdirectional006.jpg

Again, gas is meant to flow from "T---->P---->N" (if you flip the solenoid over it will read "P"---------->"A"

So in certain cases, you will need to switch the solenoid around. I'll show you how in this DIY.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Here is the only tool you will need:
burkertgasdirectional009.jpg

The first step in correctly installing your BUrkert solenoid (in the right direction) is finding the nut on the back of the solenoid:
burkertgasdirectional013.jpg

Once you've found it, remove it with your 11 mm wrench (or small adjustable wrench):
burkertgasdirectional014.jpg

Should look like this when you are done. There is a pronged washer just beneath the nut, but most of the time it will stay put. If it doesn't just reinstall:
burkertgasdirectional015.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Once you have it apart, this is the point you will need to think about which direction your gas flow is going. On the VTS 253 regulator and most of the regulators with left side outlets (CGA is on the right), you will need to switch this piece arount to the "NPT" side in order to have the valve in the right direction. I've done a few installs with this backwards and they have worked, but it is incorrect.

Here is the way it came from the factory:
burkertgasdirectional016.jpg

Here is the way it needs to go:
burkertgasdirectional017.jpg

To reinstall, just tighten the nut:
burkertgasdirectional018.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
So,it went from this:
burkertgasdirectional002.jpg

to this:
burkertgasdirectional021.jpg

Recap:

Gas flow needs to be from the:

"P" --------> "A" direction (obverse side)
"T---->P----->N" direction (reverse side)

K. Anderson

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for posting this. I had mine in the wrong direction too. It was working ok but it took to long to get and cost too much to mess up by being installed backward. Thank you

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
K. Anderson;57539 said:
Thanks for posting this. I had mine in the wrong direction too. It was working ok but it took to long to get and cost too much to mess up by being installed backward. Thank you

I was in the same boat. LoL I installed all of mine backwards. Since finding out, I switched all of mine in the right direction.
Thanks iprocessmart.com (Dan) and Burkert engineers!

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
May I ask where and what type of power cord you are using / I got a 3/18 AWG coil and it will not slip past the screw cap so the wires are sticking out about 1/4in I can't get it any closer.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
inkslinger;57927 said:
May I ask where and what type of power cord you are using / I got a 3/18 AWG coil and it will not slip past the screw cap so the wires are sticking out about 1/4in I can't get it any closer.

I bought a standard 18/3 gauge cord from americord.com.
http://www.americord.com/6ft-power-cord-18-3-sjtw-prod-906.html
The fact that it is coiled might be problematic. There isn't a lot of space in there.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7783-How-to-wire-a-Burkert-type-6011-solenoid

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
inkslinger;57952 said:
So is this the one you got
6FT Power Cord 18/3 SJTW for $2.03

I believe it is. If you scroll down a bit you can buy American made cords for double the price. Any 18/3 gauge regular power cord will work.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
gotcheaprice;58204 said:
Hey Matt, great write up! Looking to get one and was dreading the wiring, but I think this makes it seem fairly easy.
This power cord will work right?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5279&seq=1&format=2
Just need to strip the end?

Though if water systems is offering one pre wired, I'll pay a small premium, haha.

Hi, there.

I'd pay a small premium, too, but the install is not that hard.
I bought this one: http://www.americord.com/6ft-power-cord-18-3-sjtw-prod-906.html
The one you linked looks like it has a female connector, which will have a hard time plugging into a wall socket...lol
18/3 gauge is needed. You can buy American made cords on that site, too. They are about 3x the price of the one I linked.

gotcheaprice

Junior Poster
Jan 2, 2008
Hehe, I'm lazy and I'd have to pay for the cord, which comes out to $13 shipped from your link. Also don't have many tools except a screw driver and a pocket knife. I'll keep on eye out on that thread though, not in a rush!

And for the one I linked, wouldn't I be able to cut that female side? According to the other pics, it does have the 3 prong side too.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
gotcheaprice;58236 said:
Hehe, I'm lazy and I'd have to pay for the cord, which comes out to $13 shipped from your link. Also don't have many tools except a screw driver and a pocket knife. I'll keep on eye out on that thread though, not in a rush!

And for the one I linked, wouldn't I be able to cut that female side? According to the other pics, it does have the 3 prong side too.

I didn't see that. Yes, you can cut the female side.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Hey Matt F.
I was just getting ready to put my Solenoid Valve and Regulator, Needle Valve, Bubble Counter together {I get my tank fill next week}.
I have the LED Dim and would like to be able to see it when I look at my set-up under the cabinet .
Will I set it up like your Pic here?

burkertgasdirectional003.jpg

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Hi ink

In your picture, you have the flow correct, but I would rotate the cable plug 90° to the left.

You can rotate the cable plug around 360° to get the positioning that you want. I would mount it so that the plug is moved 90° to the left or, in other words, placed where the light would be on the output side.

FLOW DIRECTION: On the side that reads "NPT", the side closest to the "T" is the input and the side closest to the "N" is the output. When viewed from the side opposite the "NPT" stamp, you have to make sure that your input is at the "P" side and the output is at the "A" side.

herns

Guru Class Expert
Jul 29, 2007
The United States of America
Matt F.;57966 said:
I believe it is. If you scroll down a bit you can buy American made cords for double the price. Any 18/3 gauge regular power cord will work.

Some users at TPT use CPU power cords which they said its 18/3. I've bought 2 in ebay at very cheap price to try. I would post when they are ok.