How to prep an Victor HPT 270 for a post body

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
If you end up buying a regulator off ebay, I want to show you just how simple it is to convert to a CGA320 and post body kit.

Here is my HPT270 as it came from ebay:
regulator002.jpg

First step if you have oversized gauges (like the HPT270) if to remove teh gauge to prevent damage during disassembly. For this I used a regular wrench and some arm strength:

regulator003.jpg

regulator004.jpg

regulator005.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
next remove the valve on the left where we will attach the post body components. I used the same wrench:

regulator006.jpg

regulator007.jpg

regulator008.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
The final stage is to remove the GCA 580 nut and nipple. For this I used a Vice Grip and some arm strength. This is where we will connect our CGA 320 nut and nipple, which will mount to our CGA 320 adapter on the CO2 tank.

See pics:
regulator009.jpg

regulator010.jpg

regulator011.jpg

regulator012.jpg

regulator013.jpg

Here I began to install all the parts loosely to prevent crud from getting in the regulator while I wait for parts!

regulator014.jpg

NickWayN

Junior Poster
Oct 15, 2010
Matt,
First, I wanna thank you for showing us the steps how to do it.
Secondly, I wonder which CGA 320 nut and nipple are good to buy for this regulator?
In order to have a co2 pressurized system, what else do you need ? (such as solenoid, fittings ... and more). Please identify them for me.
Thanks in advance.
Henry

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
NickWayN;56957 said:
Matt,
First, I wanna thank you for showing us the steps how to do it.
Secondly, I wonder which CGA 320 nut and nipple are good to buy for this regulator?
In order to have a co2 pressurized system, what else do you need ? (such as solenoid, fittings ... and more). Please identify them for me.
Thanks in advance.
Henry

Hi, Henry--

Left C's thread (the sticky) lists all the parts and part numbers you will need.

Some things to ask youself:

1) do you want a stainless Steel (expensive), chrome plated brass (mid range price) or plain brass (cheaper) CGA 320 nut and nipple?

2) WHat material do you want for your post body?

The only time I go with a stainless steel CGA 320 nut and nipple is when I have a stainless steel regulator like an SGT500. You'll see my build in a few weeks.

If I have a nice chrome plated brass regulator lik a vts253a-1993 or an HPt 270 or 500, I would prob go with a chrome plated brass CGA 320 nut and nipple with a stainless/brass post body.

If I just wanted something functional regardless of looks, I'd just go all brass...it's cheaper.

You'd need the npt pipe fittings, solenoid, needle valve, and either hose barb or bubble counter.

PM me once you've considered this and I'll let you know what you need w/ sources, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickWayN

Junior Poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi Matt,
This is my first time to go for co2 pressurized system for planted tank. That's why I got on ebay hehehe.
I've decided to go with "chrome plated brass CGA 320 nut and nipple with brass post body"
BTW, I'll send you a pm to ask for npt fittings, solenoid and other things to get a complete co2 system for my aquarium.
Thanks in advance for help me out the sources.

Have a great evening.
Henry

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I'll compile a parts list pending your response pm for the post body parts. other info has been sent

NickWayN

Junior Poster
Oct 15, 2010
Morning Matt,
How are you doing?
Do you have any idea how to test the ebay-bought regulator to see if it works before doing the post body?
if any, please show me.

Thank you and have a good day

Regards,
Henry

PS: My regulator just arrived here yesterday in a seem-to-be-good condition. What about yours?

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
NickWayN;57403 said:
Morning Matt,
How are you doing?
Do you have any idea how to test the ebay-bought regulator to see if it works before doing the post body?
if any, please show me.

Thank you and have a good day

Regards,
Henry

PS: My regulator just arrived here yesterday in a seem-to-be-good condition. What about yours?

Hey, Henry!

My HPT was lost by UPS...Just my luck. I didn't need another one anyway...lol I was issued a full refund by the sellerwho seems like a stand-up guy.

I'd just build the thing and hook it up to your CO2 tank. YOu'll find out really quickly if something is amiss. If something is wrong (I doubt there will be any problem), just remove the post body and cga-320 and use it on your next regulator. No harm, no foul.

NickWayN

Junior Poster
Oct 15, 2010
Sorry to hear that , bro.
but good that you still have a lot of regulators to build :)

Right now I'm still waiting for nipple and nut to come from J & R Welding Supply Co. I hope to get them soon 'cause I'm so eager to build the first one up hehehe.
Later bro. Great nite!

Regards,
Henry

Please let me know what kind of tape I should use for every connection/ joints? Thank you.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
NickWayN;57538 said:
Sorry to hear that , bro.
but good that you still have a lot of regulators to build :)

Right now I'm still waiting for nipple and nut to come from J & R Welding Supply Co. I hope to get them soon 'cause I'm so eager to build the first one up hehehe.
Later bro. Great nite!

Regards,
Henry

Please let me know what kind of tape I should use for every connection/ joints? Thank you.

Hi, Henry-

Stay away from teflon tape for regulators. Pieces of the tape can get stuck in your solenoid, etc.

I use APR non hardening thread sealer w/ teflon (non-toxic). You can use the stuff Left C uses, or go to your local hardware store and buy some non hardening pipe thread sealer (non toxic). I forgot the type Left C uses. YOu should PM him and ask.

btw, they found my HPT 270 regulator!!! It's on its way.

EDIT: I now use teflon tape on builds. secondary post body components are still sealed with non-hardening thread sealer.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
You can also remove the relief valves on the SGT/HPT/BHT/GPT models and plug it with a hex plug.