Boosting reactor throughput

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I currently have an Ocean Runner OR-2500 mounted externally under my 110g. This pump is rated at 2500lph, but, due to it's location under the cabinet, I estimate it's output to be about 2000lph (based on the head curves detailed in the manual that came with it).

So this is about 530gph.

This water flow is exclusively fed into my AM1000.

I am experimenting with the AM1000 a bit at the moment. Looking at it while it's running, I think I can push more water through it still, but understand that, due to pipe diameter restricted by size of the input barbs into the unit etc, that there is a maximum amount of water I can push through it (also dictated of course by the fact that too strong a flow will push the CO2 bubbles out of it).

I think I can push more flow through it whilst also keeping the bubbles in it.

Rather than swapping the pump out, I was thinking of feeding the output of my Eheim 2217 into the intake of the OR2500 in conjunction with the existing intake strainer...

As the OR2500 is mounted externally, I currently have a hose (with strainer on the bottom) in the tank acting as the pickup for it (usual practice).

Could I remove this intake strainer and fit a Y here? On one branch of the Y I would fit the existing intake strainer. On the other branch of the Y I would connect the output from the Eheim 2217.

As far as I can see, this should safely boost the water flow through the AM1000.

The Eheim 2217 shouldn't be restricted, as it's output should be comfortably gobbled up by the OR2500 intake, and the OR2500 intake shouldn't be restricted (i.e. cavitation) as it has multiple pathways for water intake.

The return from the AM1000 is a nice long DIY spray bar at the lower back region of the tank - so clean, CO2 enriched water will be coming out from here (I could drill the holes in it larger if necessary).

Any thoughts?

Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Did you enlarge the in- and output barbs on the AM1000?

I think the biggest restriction in the system is there. Even when you use a bigger pump, it will never flow more than a certain maximum based on pipe diameter.

regards,
dutchy.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
No, I don't think so.

The restriction will be at the same point. the water pumps we use can't build pressure enough to overcome a restriction like that. Backpressure will equal gain in flow easily.

regards,
dutchy

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
dutchy;55861 said:
No, I don't think so.

The restriction will be at the same point. the water pumps we use can't build pressure enough to overcome a restriction like that. Backpressure will equal gain in flow easily.

regards,
dutchy

Ah but dutchy, I think this would only be the case if the flow rate had already reached it's maximum.

In my case, using the OR2500 alone, and due to it's location underneath the tank in my cabinet, the flow rate that it is pushing through the AM1000 at the moment, I believe, is less than what the AM1000 can take, i.e. I don't think I've hit the maximum, surely not.

So, I really can't see any reason why 'supercharging' the input, reasonably, wouldn't improve the flow pushing it closer to, or ideally reaching, the maximum flow.

I know I could just buy a new, more powerful, external pump, but I'm just seeing if I can do anything with what I've got first.

I suppose I could hook it up and just eyeball the return whilst flicking the 'supercharger' powerhead on and off to see if the flow increases correspondingly.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Looking at the aquamedic website, they say maximum through put is 250gph. ;)

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
scottward;55878 said:
So, I really can't see any reason why 'supercharging' the input, reasonably, wouldn't improve the flow pushing it closer to, or ideally reaching, the maximum flow.

I think the "supercharging" issue is the problem.

The pumps we use can't, by the way they are constructed, build up a lot of pressure. The wheel might be turning faster, without any gain in flow. That means that even if you put five pumps inline, the output flow of the AM1000 would be the same.

It's what Gbark, said, you're not going to make it flow more than 250 gph with that pipe diameter. Anyway, it will give you substantial backpressure, being the bottleneck in the entire system.

That's why I modified the reactors to accept 16/22 mm hose. That way I could use 1850 lph pumps.

regards,
dutchy