Inline Co2 loop effects on flow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Co2 loop effects on flow?

I've seen discussion of a Co2 setup where a loop with an inline, fractionating powerhead is placed on the canister filter outflow. I'd like to give this a try but was just wondering whether this impedes flow from the filter at all?

I have an Eheim Ecco on the tank which supposedly puts out 145 GPH and I'd probably go with a MJ 1200, which is rated @ 295 GPH. Any thoughts on how flow would be affected?

If anything the nearly 1:2 flow difference could (probably would) cause cavitation in the MJ 1200, reducing its normal lifecycle.

Just and opinion.

Pat
    Hard Hat by Day
    Wet, Prunny, (hopefully)Green Thumb by Night

Equipment list:
    See my profile

Flora:
    Polygonum sp 'Sao Paulo'; Hemianthus glomeratus; Ludwigia repens; Starougyne repens 049 Tropica; Cabomba caroliniana; Limnophila aromatica; Heteranthera zosterifolia

Fauna:
    Oto's; SAE's; Red Wag Platies: Gold Mickey Mouse Platies; Neon Tetras

Comment

Cavitation was the first thing that sprung to my mind too.

If the output from the filter is less than what is required for the input of the powerhead, cavitation would occur within the impellor chamber of the powerhead.

In any case, I can't see any way that you could connect any 2 pumping devices together to obtain any benefit? Something is going to be 'the weaker link', which is going to bottleneck better flow and possibly damage (cavitation etc) the stronger link.

I suppose you could turn the canister filter off and suck the water through the media contained within it with an external pump, but then hose sizes (i.e. plumbing) may become an issue then too...

I don't think you could do something like this based on rated values anyway. All sorts of factors are going to affect the actual outputs of the pumps.

What exactly is this trying to acheive? Why bother with the CO2 loop of the canister?
      6' Planted Tank (72" x 18" x 20") - 4 x 30W T8 Tri-Phosphors - 2 x Eheim 2217 'Classic' canisters
      Flourite substrate - Ocean Runner OR-2500 + AM1000 - Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045
      6.8kg Catalina CO2 - Red Sea Pro regulator - Swagelok B-SS4-A metering valve - Vecton 600 UV

Comment

I see no problem if it's a loop like in this thread (pump's outflow at top, inflow at bottom):
        http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...sign-conundrum
        Just locate the inflow of the pump a bit distant from the exit.
        The overall through-put should be the same as regular reactor, I believe.

Comment

I have modified my setup to loop back to the pump in the sump and after tweaking it, it is running very nicely and I get no co2 bubbles in the tank. Here was my original setup:

mag 1200 in sump ===>25micron ocean clear canister==>aquariumplants.com ext5000 co2 reactor==> tank return

mag (has a T in the intake) ==>canister==>T==>tank return
          ^
          ||<<<<co2 reactor<<ball valve <||
          to T in mag ...............from T in return

I have the ball valve open about 30% as to restrict the flow enough so that the mag continues to pump enough water out of the sump. I have realized that the reactors work best with slower flow, and by refeeding it through the micron filter it is minimizing the large bubbles.

CO2 is steady at6.5 even with full pearling. In the morning it rises to about 7.1 after airstone runs all night and co2 is off. BTW this is a 210.

Comment

Working...
          X