Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen, CO2 balance!

Hi,

I have been running my tank for two years now, and i have never seen my plants pearl.

I have a KH of 140mg/l and a pH of 6.2-6.8 (lights on and lights off)

I use an external filter and lilly pipes with my DIY CO2 reactor.

I generate surface movement with a koralia wave maker.

My question is, Should i satuate water with O2 by adding a air pump or powerhead and add more CO2 to compansate or is it ok left how it is?

for diy Co2, turbulant water surface may have shaked it out minutes after you inject Co2.

Comment

sorry i was unclear, i use pressureised CO2, but i have a DIY inline CO2 reactor. (see my blog)

Comment

Noob opinion : take with a grain o' salt ...

I'd be more inclined to re-check CO2, and look at dosing and light (both power and period).

I just came out of my dry start. I have been running with 108 watts of T5HO for 8 Hrs/day, with 1/2 EI dosing per Tom's advice. I've been moving my DC around and seem to have a good CO2 situation. If you recall, from a previous responce of yours to one of my posts, I have an almost identical CO2 reactor. I consistantly see pearling on the polygonum but only on the leaves closest to the top of the tank.

Even if you could manage to inject O2 to the point of saturation without adversly affecting CO2 (doubtfull IMO considering the potential for losses) it would still be an artificial solution to the issue; an issue which is probably not a problem assuming an otherwise healthy tank.

Just a noob's opinion.
        Pat
        Hard Hat by Day
        Wet, Prunny, (hopefully)Green Thumb by Night

Equipment list:
        See my profile

Flora:
        Polygonum sp 'Sao Paulo'; Hemianthus glomeratus; Ludwigia repens; Starougyne repens 049 Tropica; Cabomba caroliniana; Limnophila aromatica; Heteranthera zosterifolia

Fauna:
        Oto's; SAE's; Red Wag Platies: Gold Mickey Mouse Platies; Neon Tetras

Comment

I'm not worried about seeing pearling. I read somewhere that you don't get pearling until the water reaches o2 satuation. And therefore i was wondering if i have enough o2 in my water?

I gassed my fish once in about month 2 of starting this hobby, and lost a couple

I also move my Drop Checkers around and i get a very yellow colour where the oulet of my filter/reactor enter, and a lime green colour on other side of tank.

Comment

if you keep some water movement under the water surface (judging the bulb reflections on the water surface, they shall not be much influenced), if you are also running a skimmer to keep water surface clear, there should be no much problem for fish so long as you do not inject Co2 too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbark View Post
              I'm not worried about seeing pearling. I read somewhere that you don't get pearling until the water reaches o2 satuation. And therefore i was wondering if i have enough o2 in my water?

I gassed my fish once in about month 2 of starting this hobby, and lost a couple

I also move my Drop Checkers around and i get a very yellow colour where the oulet of my filter/reactor enter, and a lime green colour on other side of tank.
              Ok, I misunderstood the reason for your concern. Assuming a good reference solution in your DC, the CO2 shouldn’t be an issue. However, more flow and better distribution would probably help. The next questions are:

Total bio mass in the tank? – too little and I wouldn’t expect it could push O2 to saturation no matter what you did.

Dosing?

Light?

Later,
              Pat
              Hard Hat by Day
              Wet, Prunny, (hopefully)Green Thumb by Night

Equipment list:
              See my profile

Flora:
              Polygonum sp 'Sao Paulo'; Hemianthus glomeratus; Ludwigia repens; Starougyne repens 049 Tropica; Cabomba caroliniana; Limnophila aromatica; Heteranthera zosterifolia

Fauna:
              Oto's; SAE's; Red Wag Platies: Gold Mickey Mouse Platies; Neon Tetras

Comment

I have noticed as the day draws to an end and the co2 is about to switch off for the night, my fish and critters become slow and struggle to breath, they go to the bottom of the tank.

At this time i have a pH of 6.0 maybe 5.9, i can't add anymore co2 or i would gas the fish. I have a bubble rate that i can't even count.

Could i add oxygen as well, or would this affect my co2 ppm?

Comment

Hi Gbark,

You could add oxygen as well, but normally this is accomplished by having enough surface movement. Adding O2 will not affect CO2, but it will allow you to use more CO2. Less O2 restricts use of CO2. But, why don't you just try to slow down CO2 just a tad? That doesn't have to mean you have an algae bloom tomorrow . I don't know how high your water temp is, but less water temp means more O2. maybe you can gain something here. If you are that high with CO2 by the time the lights switch off, you could also think about switching CO2 off earlier, so that pH rises a little bit towards the "lights off" period. CO2 demand is much lower at the end or the day.

regards,
                  dutchy
                  regards,
                  dutchy.

My 2011, 2012 and 2013 AGA aquascaping contest entries:
                  http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?u=21013

Comment

Originally posted by dutchy View Post
                    Hi Gbark,

You could add oxygen as well, but normally this is accomplished by having enough surface movement. Adding O2 will not affect CO2, but it will allow you to use more CO2. Less O2 restricts use of CO2. But, why don't you just try to slow down CO2 just a tad? That doesn't have to mean you have an algae bloom tomorrow . I don't know how high your water temp is, but less water temp means more O2. maybe you can gain something here. If you are that high with CO2 by the time the lights switch off, you could also think about switching CO2 off earlier, so that pH rises a little bit towards the "lights off" period. CO2 demand is much lower at the end or the day.

regards,
                    dutchy
                    Hi

Thanks, i think i will back it off a touch, i haven't seen any algae for about 1 year now. I also run the tank at 26 degC, i could drop this to 25 degC

Comment

Working...
                    X