solinoid ???

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
can you change the angle ofthe valve itself? there are 4 tiny screws at the bottom of the brass block on my soliniod valve, can i unscrew them and change the angle 90 degrees then screw back together? has anyone done this before? this seems like a no brainer but would love to have someone elses experience.thanks

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
trong;50369 said:
can you change the angle ofthe valve itself? there are 4 tiny screws at the bottom of the brass block on my soliniod valve, can i unscrew them and change the angle 90 degrees then screw back together? has anyone done this before? this seems like a no brainer but would love to have someone elses experience.thanks

Why would you want to? :)

It should be set up so that if elec fails valve closes.

Last edited by a moderator:

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
i'm changing reulators and needle valves and i dont think i can unscrew my current needle valve without doing so

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
There are usually two pieces on a solenoid. The coil can often be removed and replaced. Is this thepart you are talking about?

-
S

trong;50372 said:
i'm changing reulators and needle valves and i dont think i can unscrew my current needle valve without doing so

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
i wish i new... there are 2 or 3 parts to this soliniod at the back bottom the cord attaches then a larger black body and on top of that is the brass cube is that the coil? i essentially need to rotate the inlet/outlet brass cube 90 degrees . am i on the right path?

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
im not sure what the brand would have to do with the question of weather or not i could unscrew and turn the brass cube thing 90 degrees then reassemble and epect it to work? im not trying to be evasive, i just dont know what brand. it has a symbol but no name

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Hello Trong,

The thing is that since there are more than one model of solenoid valve out there, it's difficult to understand what exactly is the brass cube thing. If you can post a picture of your solenoid or at least link to one that is the same (or almost) it would help us help you. Left C knows his stuff when it comes to CO2 equipment.

/A picture is worth a thousand words.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
The solenoid valves we use in our CO2 regulators are held "normally closed" by a spring. As such they can be oriented any which way and will operate just fine. The "valve" section is what your needle / metering valve screws into on one side and the regulator on the other. This piece is usually stainless steel or brass but might be painted black. Then there is the "coil" section of the solenoid valve. This is usually stacked on top of the metal "valve" section. The "coil" section will have the power cord attached and is probably some kind of black thermoplastic. This coil section can be rotated on, or even removed from the metal "valve" section. Rotating the coil will not affect it's operation in any way. The only way you'd have trouble is if you removed the coil and reinstalled it upside down. You'd discover the problem when you're not getting any CO2 even though the solenoid valve should be open. Instead of the coil opening the valve it's actually holding it shut because the magnetic polarity got reversed when you installed it upside down. Easy to fix- just take it off, flip it over & put it back on & you should be good to go.

That help any?

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
thank you... can i get an amen!!! and a confirmation to oreos account of this? it's wonderful to be a part of a website with so much knowledge and insight to the many aspects of our hobby/art

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
'm not sure the coils are directional in that flipping them over would matter. My particular unit could not be assembled if I flipped the coil assembly so it may not prove much. That said, rotating the coils should not affect operation in any way and I had to do just that with mine.

-
S

trong;50602 said:
thank you... can i get an amen!!! and a confirmation to oreos account of this? it's wonderful to be a part of a website with so much knowledge and insight to the many aspects of our hobby/art

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
The coil on my solenoid valve is also keyed in such a way that it is physically impossible to install it upside down. Be that the case, it's a moot point. However, the coils are absolutely directional, sure as every magnet has a north and a south pole.