CO2 regulator seal

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Does anybody know if the CO2 washer (i.e. the seal between the regulator and CO2 bottle) is a standard sized washer or a regulator brand specific washer?

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It should be a standard size. You do have to get a regulator seal as far as I know, not just any washer, but they should be pretty standard.

Lets see if left c has something to add. He knows more about regulators than I do.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
scottward;50248 said:
Does anybody know if the CO2 washer (i.e. the seal between the regulator and CO2 bottle) is a standard sized washer or a regulator brand specific washer?
Why are you asking this question?

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Why are you asking this question?

I have a Red Sea regulator and asked Red Sea how much a new seal will cost. They are about $3.50 AUD for a Red Sea one, but I notice that home brew shops also sell CO2 regulator seals for less than $1.

Will any seal fit?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Go to any Gas cylinder refill place, they typically will give some for free.
Ask when you get the tank refilled, they have to be standard sizes, otherwise you'd have to use their special gas tanks and regs, and it would very hard to find someone to refill their special CO2 tanks:p.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
They usually provide it, but if not they're cheap enough to replace each time. I suppose you could flip it over for the next use to try and even things out a bit...

-
S

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I found a 'CO2 washer' on a website with the inner/outer diameter, outer diameter was about 19mm, inned diameter (i.e. diameter of the central hole) was only about 5-6mm. The inner diameter of my CO2 seal is 10mm. Is it possible that Red Sea have made their regulators so that only one of their CO2 seals will fit? ;-)

ibnozn

Mar 7, 2008
I have the same problem with my Tunze regulator. Standard replacement washers don't fit it for the same reason you seem to be talking about. I just use a rubber washer instead. Found it at Ace Hardware I think and I doubt it's meant for CO2. But it fits—and it works. :)

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
As long as you replace it with the tank you should be fine. If it's not meant for CO2 then over time it could degrade and break down and cause leaks. If you replace it each time you should be OK.

-
S