Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did look at that thread but I am interested in removing the coil (which says "Burkert" on the white label on it) from the body of the valve itself.

To use his picture below, I want to take this apart:

I'm really giving it good pulls and twists but it's not coming.

Over the phone, Burkert tech support told me they took one apart while I was speaking to them, and they just removed the retaining nut on top and "gave it a good jostle". Of course the one they had in their hands wasn't melty and I think maybe some of the plastic/rubber resolidified and is interfering with removal. I'm actually about 5 minutes from taking a hacksaw to the damn thing, It's already destroyed anyway, and if the new one comes apart as easy as they say it should, it should be a 2 minute reinstall of the new one tomorrow.
    Last edited by Doc7; 01-05-2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• If the coil is trashed then use a large locking pliers and yank it off.
      18g - Otocinclus sp.
      16g bowfront - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"
      20g long - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp., Sailfin mollies
      300g RST - N. fuscotaeniatus, P. taeniolatus, Ps. acei, Cyno sp. "hara", L. caeruleus, S. petricola

Comment

• In the words of Rex Grigg, I "got manly with it"... now my shoulder is going to be killing me in a couple of hours but I got the darn thing off!

I don't really see what was making it lock up, though i am bit curious about the status of my valve if this was such a pain. when I get the new one tomorrow i will look to see if there is damage to the valve stem itself (maybe it expanded or something) that could create future issues. If the new coil slides on and off the other solenoid easily and I have great difficulty doing the same thing with the new coil on the old valve, I'll have to assume there's something wrong with the valve itself and get invasive re: the brass piping. : / I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Here's what my valve stem looks like:

I'm going to send the picture off to Burkert. I'm concerned about whether or not that groove (first from the bottom) is supposed to be there, or if that happened as I sat here twisting the solenoid around trying to get it off.

Comment

• Something doesn't sound right. It shouldn't take much effort to get the electrical section of the solenoid off (once the nut is removed). Maybe the body is getting hooked on the threads? Maybe it was damaged somehow.
          Remove the nut completely. Pull/twist the black coil body off the brass portion of the solenoid.

I honestly don't know why you have had such a hard time with your solenoid. Got to be frustrating.
          Last edited by Matt F.; 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• I did get it off after all that tugging. Visually I can not determine if the stem or the coil was the swollen part causing the interference.

I just got the new one in the mail and it only took me 15 seconds to have the coil off, including the time to pull out my adjustable wrench. Tonight when I get home hopefully it slides right on the valve and I'm back in service!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Comment

• New coil slid on no issue and my tank is up and running again : )

Glad I did that instead of taking apart all the piping etc when it wasn't necessary to get invasive

Comment

• Terrific news!

Comment

• Hopefully someone is able to use that method above instead of a whole-sale solenoid changeout if they experience electrical related difficulties.

It's tempting just to buy a whole new assembly when all one needs is a coil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc7 View Post
                    ... Here's what my valve stem looks like:

I'm going to send the picture off to Burkert. I'm concerned about whether or not that groove (first from the bottom) is supposed to be there, or if that happened as I sat here twisting the solenoid around trying to get it off.
                    Have you found out about the groove?

Comment

• Yup another user says his stem looks precisely the same.

As that's really a "stem cover" and not a stem anyway (the stem and spring are inside, moved via electromagnetic force by the solenoid coil), it wouldn't have matter even if it was an accidentally made groove, as long as its not damaged so that the new coil couldn't slip over it.

Originally posted by Left C View Post
                      Have you found out about the groove?

Comment

• Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• Put together two regulators today for two different friends. Both all stainless bodies and parts.
                          One is a Matheson 3810 and the other is a Concoa 432

Comment

• Is that a Peter Paul solenoid valve? How do you like them? Good looking builds.

Comment

• Originally posted by dansbor
                              Yes double stage gas regulators are more beneficial than single stage gas regulators. This forum is interesting. On this thread very useful information is given. Nice information is given about double stage gas regulators and single stage gas regulators.
                              Well, several other forums seem to have vendors that got really touchy and competitive with this topic.
                              We do not have vendor's paying the bills here, subscribers and folks willing to be supporting membership.

There are no annoying ads if you noticed also.

Weird thing is that I allow vendors to post all they want, but they do not, and it's for free etc.
                              www.BarrReport.com

Comment

• I don't know if any of you guys want to mess around with VCR fittings, but this is a awesome reg for a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-line-b...item4abcb92bc4

There's also a SGT-500 (older)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-SPECI...item2ec28cf262
                                Last edited by oldpunk; 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X