Typical bubble rates

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Hi.

My tank is currently set up as follows:

- 100 gallons
- 120watts of T8 light (can run 240W but halved to slow things down)
- current water temp ~ 26-27C
- 1/2 EI dosing
- AM1000 with dedicated circulation pump, return split into 3
- seperate 1000lph powerhead to improve circulation

The plants are generally looking ok. Little bit of BBA here and there, but growth is generally looking ok (slow due to lower light, but ok).

My bubble counter is currently running at around 12-15 bps. I can only just count about 10bps, and I have recently turned the bubble counter up just slightly more as I was getting some brown spots on the leaves of my hygro (which I know if due to not quite enough CO2 getting to them).

Is 12-15bps with this type of setup pretty normal? Or does this seem like somethings not right at the bubble rate (i.e. slower or faster than what would normally be expected for this type of configuration)?

Gerryd, from memory your tank is fairly similar to mind and you're running about the same bubble rate? How is your tank doing?

The reason I ask is that I want to totally clobber this BBA and ensure my CO2 is at it's best.

Scott.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
That's about what I run if not a little on the lower side. But I use dual bubble counters and needle valves, so dialing in CO2 is a little easier. I also error on the safe side and use quite a bit of surface agitation along with about a half inch drop in an overflow. That way I maximize O2. Co2 is cheap and adding a little more is always safer than trying mouth to mouth on fish. :p

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks JDowns. Your tank is on a par with mine - same equipment, same size etc? Same temp? And of course, most importantly, how do your plants look? Do you have any photos?

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
scottward;40210 said:
Thanks JDowns. Your tank is on a par with mine - same equipment, same size etc? Same temp? And of course, most importantly, how do your plants look? Do you have any photos?

Pretty close. 150 gallon / 240w for 8hrs. Slightly cooler I hover around 25C, a couple degrees cooler in the winter. Plants have been great in this redo for the last 9 months. I do need to update my journal soon.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting. Your tank is a bit bigger than mine and you are using less light. If your plants are doing well then there is no reason mine shouldn't in a smaller tank with less light with approximately the same bubble rate.

How are you getting the CO2 into the water? Are you using an external reactor like me?

What type of plants are in your tank?

Scott.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Mostly I use a DIY Needlewheel. But for now I use half needlewheel and half quasi reactor.

As for now the plants.

Pogostemon Stellatus 'Fine Leaf'
Lindernia sp Green
Tonina Rio Uaupes
Tonina Fluviatilis
Rotala Rotundfolia
Limnophila Mini
Microsorums Narrow, Windelove.
Various Anubis
Cardamine Lyrata
Rotala Macandra Red
Rotala sp Belem
Blyxa Japonica
Ludwigia Glandulosa
Various foreground grasses
Hygrophila Angustafolia

I might be missing one or two from that tank.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Cool, thanks. I only really have the basic beginner plants in my tank.

They are going ok.

As the biomass increased, I noticed things paling a bit, so I turned the bubble rate up a little bit more.

The AM1000 is working ok, but it's a bit noisy as a lot of the gas is going back through the venturi to the pump.

Scott.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Here's an observation for bubble rates. Personally I don't care for the use since a few factors come into play. But for what its worth. Not all bubble counters are equal in terms of bubble size which would be the most obvious. But if you use the typical cylider bubble counter that attaches to a manifold. If you are light limited in viewing, place a white piece of paper about six inches behind the bubble counter and shine a flashlight on the paper. As you move the light from behind the bubble counter to out of view notice how the bubbles appear to go faster and slower. If I do this I would have to recind my previous count to close to half the bubbles used. :rolleyes:

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Huh? ;-)

I understand that the bubbles could be different in size between counters (unless they are meant to be standardized????).

But the bit about the rate appearing slower/faster - you've lost me??

Thanks for your reply.

Scott.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
If you have a bubble counter that is in a not so well lit area. Hold a piece of white paper behind the bubble counter about 4 - 6". Shine a light (flashlight) on the paper behind the bubble counter. This reflects light back into the bubble counter. If you do this the bubble are much easier to read. IMI the bubbles appear to drastically slow down to half the rate. This example will show the drastic differences in perception of bubbles per second. Basically your lighting the bubble counter indirectly to make viewing much easier.