Step by Step Sump Build

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Hey guys here is a detailed thread on how to build a sump using a 20gallon tank. With the help of Henry, I was able to get this done. There wasn't much info out there on how to build one this way. NO step by step on what plumbing to use, thread sizes etc, and how to plumb them together. I had no idea about a lot of this until Henry was so gracious to come over a few times and point me in the right direction. I will post the step by step with descriptions of what I was doing, but the pics speak volumes.:D

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Parts List

List of components

1. Deep Blue Triton 4 pump… 1150GPH
2. 3 Gallons of Coralife Bio Balls
3. 1 All Glass Aquarium Mega Overflow kit

List of plumbing

1. 2-1” Threaded Ball Valves
2. 2-1” Threaded PVC Union “Quick Disconnect”
3. 2-1”x 2” Threaded PVC Risers
4. 1-1”x 4” Threaded PVC Riser
5. 2- 1”x ¾” Threaded Bushings
6. 1-1”x ¾” Solvent Bushing to ¾” Thread female end
7. 1-1” Threaded Adapter to 1” Solvent female end for 1” PVC piping
8. 2- ¾” Threaded Nylon Barb with ¾” nipple
9. 1-1” Clear Check Valve

List of other supplies

1. 1- 3’x 30” Sheet of ¾” Acrylic
2. 1 Roll of Thread Seal Tape (Teflone Tape) pink Heavy Duty
3. 1 package of Stainless Steel ¾” to 1 and ¾’ Clamps
4. PVC cement and primer
5. 1" drain hose
6. 3/4" hosing...as much as you think you need

Tools

1. Measuring Tape
2. Pliers
3. Small Hand Saw for cutting PVC
4. Jig Saw and blades for cutting Acrylic

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Pics of Plumbing List

List of plumbing

1. 2-1” Threaded Ball Valves
2. 2-1” Threaded PVC Union “Quick Disconnect”
3. 2-1”x 2” Threaded PVC Risers
4. 1-1”x 4” Threaded PVC Riser
5. 2- 1”x ¾” Threaded Bushings
6. 1-1”x ¾” Solvent Bushing to ¾” Thread female end
7. 1-1” Threaded Adapter to 1” Solvent female end for 1” PVC piping
8. 2- ¾” Threaded Nylon Barb with ¾” nipple
9. 1-1” Clear Check Valve
SSCN2665.jpg

SSCN2672.jpg

SSCN2666-2.jpg

SSCN2667.jpg

SSCN2668.jpg

SSCN2671.jpg

SSCN2670.jpg

SSCN2669.jpg

SSCN2677.jpg

The pics are in order with the written list.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
JJ,

Congrats on the build and your newfound ability to post pictures on the forum :)

Nice job on the build thread so far. Sharing knowledge is one of the main reasons I am here.

Henry is a very nice guy.

Thanks!

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Thanks guys and bare with me as it will take me a few days to get the whole thing organized and posted! It was an easy build and I learned a lot. Wasn't as cheap as I thought but wasn't that bad either. Hope the thread helps people that are having the same troubles I did.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
List of other supplies

SSCN2689.jpg

SSCN2673.jpg

SSCN2675.jpg

SSCN2676.jpg

1. 1- 3’x 30” Sheet of ¾” Acrylic
2. 1 Roll of Thread Seal Tape (Teflone Tape) pink Heavy Duty
3. 1 package of Stainless Steel ¾” to 1 and ¾’ Clamps
4. PVC cement and primer

Again pics follow the list

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Assembly

First thing I wanted to do was install the Mega Overflow kit. The kit has two bulkhead fittings. The siphon end is 1" and the return side is 3/4". Very simple to install following the directions. I'm sorry I didn't really take any pics of this process. Looking back I wish that I had but again it is very easy to install. I had to shorten the standpipe a few inches for it to fit. That was the only thing that I had to alter from the kit.

Now, on to the actual build. I will start with the siphon end. Was an easy process to do.

You will need the 1" drain hose that will connect to your siphon bulkhead fitting (1"). USE HOSE CLAMPS TO SECURE THE DRAIN HOSE FITTINGS.
DSCN2710.jpg

Take your 1”x 4” Threaded PVC Riser and cut 1/4" off using your small hand saw.
SSCN2683.jpg

The end that was cut off is the end that goes into the other end of your drain hose.
SSCN2686.jpg

Now the end that still has the threads on it will screw into your 1" ball valve. Before doing so make sure you cover the threads with the thread sealer.
SSCN2664.jpg

Take one of the 1”x 2” Threaded PVC Risers, cover threads with thread sealer, screw one end of the riser into the other end of the ball valve. The other end of the riser screws into one of the 1” Threaded PVC Union “Quick Disconnect”.
Refer to the third pic of this post for a visual.
Take one of the 1”x ¾” Threaded Bushings and attach the small plastic washer. I found this at an Ace Hardware in the plumbing section not at HD. Slip the washer over the bushing and place in the hole what will be drilled in the top piece of the acrylic. That bushing, once placed in the drilled hole, will screw into the other end of the quick disconnect.
SSCN2682.jpg

SSCN2698.jpg

Here's a pic of the bushing screwed into the quick disconnect.
SSCN2699.jpg

Lastly, the " Quick Disconnect" will attach to the top piece of the acrylic.
SSCN2709.jpg
This pic is the completed process of the siphon end.
SSCN2681.jpg

This pic is backward lol. I don't know what I was doing but the riser and the bushing should be flip flopped. :rolleyes: If you guys are confused about the last pic, just ask and I'll post a better pic.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Rough summary...drain hose goes to cut end of the riser...to ball valve...to small riser...to quick disconnect...to threaded bushing! Very easy.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Here is the sheet of acrylic before I cut into it. I drew out the lines to follow. Using as few lines as possible. Less lines equals less cuts. I used my jigsaw for this. I suggest using one because it will save you a lot of time!

SSCN2689.jpg

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Here is what it looks like finished.

DSCN2828.jpg

DSCN2829.jpg

Bulk head is directly over the filter pads. I use a 100 micromol Coralife filter pad and then Coralife filter floss. Marineland makes the same kind of filter floss. The blue is more course therefore catching more mulm. So blue faces down with the white on top. I would love to have a nice block of sponge on top but can't seem to find on to fit my dimensions. I may just have to piece one together from several pieces of block. Beneath that is the bioballs for biological filtration. The chamber beside it is the pump. I can put my heaters there when needed and my pH probe is in here as well. Hope you all enjoyed. If there are any questions just ask.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
Nice thread... I might do something similar when I get back to working on my rimless planted tank project. What size tank are you running this on? I'm thinking a 20 gallon tall would work nicely on a 75 gallon. What size DT do you have this running on?

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Guys sorry I haven't updated this thread lately. All I need to add to this is I now use three stage mechanical filtration. What does this mean??? If you look at the last pic on post #14, you will see just the regular old blue and white filter pads. I now use a layer of 50micron filter pad on the top of the drip tray, followed by a coarse filter floss for the bigger debris particles, and on WC days I use a Deep Blue carbon filter pad to help with clarity issues. This works great for me and my tank is sparkling. I just now need to rescape. Any questions just ask.