Building a stand for 120P

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ekrindul View Post
    Here is an all pine bookcase I made a few years ago. I stained it twice, sanding it down before and after each stain, then applied a laquer. Would give you a different look and maybe a bit more waterproofing.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/bookcase.jpg
    Hey that looks great. I will be applying a semi gloss varnish after I have stained it. What exactly does sanding after you stain do to the look?
    Originally posted by Joe3329 View Post
    Depending on the size and shape of the hole you might be able to use a keyhole saw. Some of them have fairly fine blades. If the hole is close to the edge of the piece, you might be able to use a coping saw or a fret saw.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tip! The hole would be 3 or 4 inches from the edge of the plywood so I would still have plenty of material there to give the tank support.

Comment

Tomorrow I will -finally- be finishing the stand (well, almost) I've decided to paint it charcoal grey. I was too nervous about staining/ not doing it fast enough or doing it too fast, etc. So, tomorrow I will be rolling the primer on the outside (already painted the inside white) I also drilled a few access ports in the stand for filter tubes, power cords etc.
      I also got the wood for this tank from Tom on saturday. The extras that were sent to act as packing peanuts made the scape that much better haha.
      Here's what I put together

Comment

Finally done! (minus the door handles)
        Foam Roller
        2 coats of Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer
        ~3 Coats of Sherwin Williams 6988 Bohemian Black Interior Matte Latex Paint
        You can see the access hole I drilled for filter tubes. Two on each side

Vertigo Picture:

Pics aren't 100% Accurate
        Actual Color

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Comment

Looks very nice.

Comment

Nice and clean.

What hardware are you planning for the door pulls? IMO something in chrome or brushed nickel would make it really pop. Nothing to big or it'll distract from the tank.

Here's a 'few' choices: http://www.rockler.com/search_result...ultsPerPage=50

I kind of like this one.

Or if you prefer the clean look you have now you could go for the internal magnetic toggle closures like these:

I found them here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...oor%20magnetic

Just some thoughs.

Pat
            Hard Hat by Day
            Wet, Prunny, (hopefully)Green Thumb by Night

Equipment list:
            See my profile

Flora:
            Polygonum sp 'Sao Paulo'; Hemianthus glomeratus; Ludwigia repens; Starougyne repens 049 Tropica; Cabomba caroliniana; Limnophila aromatica; Heteranthera zosterifolia

Fauna:
            Oto's; SAE's; Red Wag Platies: Gold Mickey Mouse Platies; Neon Tetras

Comment

Maybe this:

Pat
              Hard Hat by Day
              Wet, Prunny, (hopefully)Green Thumb by Night

Equipment list:
              See my profile

Flora:
              Polygonum sp 'Sao Paulo'; Hemianthus glomeratus; Ludwigia repens; Starougyne repens 049 Tropica; Cabomba caroliniana; Limnophila aromatica; Heteranthera zosterifolia

Fauna:
              Oto's; SAE's; Red Wag Platies: Gold Mickey Mouse Platies; Neon Tetras

Comment

Thanks guys. Pat- I'll be using brushed nicel for the handles, though those magnet things would be awesome... hmm

Comment

CL, sorry for the late reply, but to get the really glossy look I had on that bookcase I decided to do two coats, so you want to sand out any imperfections so the second coat is smooth and even. Alot of extra work, but it makes it look really nice I think.

Stand looks great. Can't wait to see it completed with a full tank on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X