Remove top brace?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey stupid question I know.

My 180 has a plastic frame around the top with two 2" wide supports from front to back. The frame is all one piece and reasonably sturdy.

These interfere with my MH and provide shade that I do not want....

Would it be SAFE to remove these braces? I assume they were used when building the tank, but not sure how they affect the tank filled.

I will leave as is until I can be sure, as I just scape around it, but was wondering if it were possible.

Not a big deal, but every bit helps.........

Thanks,

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My understanding is that thinner glass can be, and is, used on framed tanks. I do not think that you can safely remove the frame.

You think you've got it bad. My 50 G has a glass brace across the middle that is like 10 to 12" wide. At least it is glass, but I still find it very annoying at times.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey Ted,

My understanding is that thinner glass can be, and is, used on framed tanks. I do not think that you can safely remove the frame.

Yes, I thought as much. Is why I stressed the word SAFE in my post lol
My tank is over 6 years old already, so assumed it was not made with the most recent innovations :)

You think you've got it bad. My 50 G has a glass brace across the middle that is like 10 to 12" wide. At least it is glass, but I still find it very annoying at times.

I bet. Nothing like a different perspective to make me appreciative!

Thanks for the reply.