Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Excel, but not CO2, how to dose ferts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Excel, but not CO2, how to dose ferts?

Hi, I have a 180l tank full of Amazon Swords.

They do OK, but not great.

I have about 1.7wpg. I don't have CO2 system for this tank, but do intend to in the future (just not enough pennies right now).

Question is, with not doing CO2 how do I dose macro and micro ferts...I'd like to do an EI dosing system (as I do on my other tank with CO2), but I dont want to end up with lots of algae by overdoing it.

So...do I up the excel and do EI as I would with pressurised CO2 or do I dose less ferts in an EI kind of way?

Hello, Try some reading on this link. It will help you a lot.

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/4...2-methods.html
    Chris

Comment

Hi Mooner, thanks for the reply, that's a great article.

However, I'm honestly not feeling great about that water change regime! I've some sensitive fish in that tank...

Maybe I'm not getting my head round it though?

Comment

Originally posted by nickmcmechan View Post
        However, I'm honestly not feeling great about that water change regime! I've some sensitive fish in that tank...
        If you want to NOT due water changes then you are looking at a NON carbon tank. ie NO CO2 or Excel. This will give you slow growth, few water changes and very little fertilizer.

BTW what sensitive fish do you have??
        Chris

Comment

The sensitive fish I have are Rams and Festivums in there, there are a couple of angels too...

Suppose what I'm really after is an EI dosing regime where excel is replacing co2 injection, if that makes any sense?

Comment

Yes, make perfect sense.
            You can double the daily recommended dose for Excel and go about a third of EI dosing. Please understand that this is a starting point. You may have to adjust Excel/dosing to achieve a balance. I wouldn't go for more than two weeks between WC @50%. Watch the plants and observe their growth, this is the best indicator of what might be lacking. I have no knowledge of the fish you are raising as far as their sensitivity to WC's. Maybe someone here can help with that.

I have several Excel tanks and have had to tailor their care in respect to lighting, Excel, dosing, and tap water supply. It took awhile to find the balance.

You said that you already have a CO2 setup? You could reduce the dosing schedule of that for a starting point on your Excel tank.
            Chris

Comment

great stuff mooner, that's exactly what i need to know...so excel with 1/3 ei dosing...i'll continue with 50% water changes weekly on top of that to do the reset and see what happens.

should have been clear about the co2 setup - its on my other 180l planted

Comment

Working...
              X