Is this normal for Equilibrium?

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
I just received a bottle of Equilibrium from an online retailer. This is the first time I have ever used this product. When I opened it up I found that is was hard & clumped up into basically one solid mass. Is this normal for Equilibrium or should it be in loose powder form?

Just wondering if I can still use this by scraping it loose with a spoon or if I should return it to the retailer for a different bottle. Anyone?

Susan

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Susan,

Mine is in powder form ... not clumpy at all. I doubt that is normal as it would be very tough to measure out.

raun

Junior Poster
Nov 7, 2007
It happens as it gets old, sits too long, and picks up moisture. I've never had a problem with the clumps - I just smash them up. Mine sometimes starts to look like clumpy cat litter as it nears the end of the bottle. A solid mass, as you say, sounds like a lot of work to break up, and is something I would probably return. ...then again shipping for the return might be more than replacing the bottle or dealing with it.

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
I think this occurs from moisture that is absorbed by the product. It should be fine since the level of moisture absorbed isn't too significant, it will increase the weight slightly but not anywhere near enough to matter. It may be a little more difficult to measure out though. You can try using small metal spoon to scrape what you need off.

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
Raun,

I hit the post reply button, and then saw your post. You beat me to the punch :) !

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
Thanks for all the help!

Seeing as how I bought this new and expected it to be sealed & it wasn't; I will be calling the retailer tomorrow to see if they will pay for the return shipping and send me a new bottle with free shipping. If they can't do that then I suppose I am stuck with chipping & scraping away.

I'm guessing that the contents aren't really affected or changed by moisture other than the annoying clumping....

Susan

Ardell

Junior Poster
Feb 14, 2007
I just got a bottle a few weeks ago it was still sealed but the same hard clump. Although in mine the top was soft enough to easily smash with my fingers the bottom was so hard i had to break it with a screwdriver to get the pieces out of the bottle. None of it ended up being a match for the blender, which still works perfectly, but please DON'T tell the wife....

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
Ardell;23493 said:
I just got a bottle a few weeks ago it was still sealed but the same hard clump. Although in mine the top was soft enough to easily smash with my fingers the bottom was so hard i had to break it with a screwdriver to get the pieces out of the bottle. None of it ended up being a match for the blender, which still works perfectly, but please DON'T tell the wife....

I love this blender idea since I already have one and I AM the wife!:p

prjct92eh2

Junior Poster
Mar 11, 2008
The same thing happened to my bottle of Equilibrium i received from Drs Foster and Smith. I've been scraping it out when i use it and other than not dissolving as quickly as i would like it seems to be working fine at adjusting my GH.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Aquariumfertilizers.com has the GH booster, which is more specific to planted tanks and it does not cake, it's very fine ground.

It's also 10X cheaper.

Regards, '
Tom Barr