Dry method

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry method

I have read the 'dry method' of starting a planted tank at http://www.barrreport.com/articles/3...add-water.html

I'm very interested in experimenting and giving this method a try. How air-tight does the tank need to be to maintain sufficient moisture? I don't have a glass lid. Should I wrap the tank up with plastic wrappers and make 100% air-tight ?

There needs to be some air circulation, but the main thing is that the plants don't dry out completely. The substrate needs to be very moist. I'm growing HC emersed in a little 3 gallon and all I do is mist the plants really well every day and add a little water when the substrate gets dry. It's not covered and things seem to be coming along well, but its probably best to at least have a galss canopy on.

What size tank are you planning to grow it in?
    What lighting?
    What substrate?

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure someone else with a little more experience will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by creighton View Post
      What size tank are you planning to grow it in? What lighting? What substrate?
      Actually am trying my luck with Hairgrass in a 2' tank. In fact I just bought Amazonia II for the substrate.

Originally posted by creighton View Post
      Hope that helps a little. I'm sure someone else with a little more experience will chime in.
      I really hope so as I have read so many threads about lighting for Hairgrass. Some just recommend 36W, some even recommended to go for 100W.

yes I am really confused.

Comment

Anyone can advise me? TIA.

Comment

Well, this tank is a 70 gallon with 108 Watts.

It's had little work on it and still has the hiar grass lawn a couple of years later now.

If it grows well under water, it'll grow well emersed.

Regards,
          Tom Barr
          www.BarrReport.com

Comment

check out this outstanding method

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/HC.jpg

Really straight forward........

Comment

Easy if you live the tropics, add weeds , add dirt, wait.

Same deal here, just in your tank, then you add water.

Regards,
              tom barr
              www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Working...
              X