30 Gallon Planted tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fish

Junior Poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hows it going everyone?
I come from a different forum but would like to add this is a nice looking forum,
well put togather. I come for more advice now that I'm taking the planted tank more serious and to help with what I can.

Fish in tank:
(Yes I know they are vegi Lovers I'm moving them to a new tank
In a month)

1 Fancy Goldfish (3 years)
1 Black Moor
1 Calico
6 Feeder Fish
4 Gold Mystery Snails

Plants in Tank:
About 16 plants
- Anabuis
- Wisteria
- Ludwigia
- Onion
- Crypt
- Moss Ball
etc...

Lighting:
- 17 Watt Moon light bar
- 2x23 Watt CF 2,700 Kelvin Clamp Lamps

Co2
2 DIY Systems
- Powerhead Diffuser
- Wooden Diffuser ran thru my HOB Filter

Substrate:
- Plain White Gravel
(Switching to Eco-complete once Goldfish are moved)

Water Levels:

NitrAte: 20
NitrIte: 0
Alk: 300 (Hard water)
Chlorine: 0
PH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Yes, this is a very good place to get information!

So, what is your question? :)

Bill

Mr. Fish

Junior Poster
Oct 16, 2007
aquabillpers;20001 said:
Yes, this is a very good place to get information!

So, what is your question? :)

Bill

Whats going on Bill?
Actually yes I do have a question, I havent got to the point where my plants
cover the whole bottom layer, but when this is done like for example covered in Ricia,
Do the plants provide a filteration now, or how do you vacum out the remains from the bottom
w/out destroying your rootings?

dealt

Prolific Poster
Sep 25, 2007
Plants with established roots can't be easily uprooted on regular vacuum (at least on my experience) I use an ordinary, manual siphon and everytime I water change, I make a quick "shake-and-suck" pass on my glosso carpet - direct siphon intake to carpet plants and do a mild shake for it to suck the mulms and decaying matters stuck on there.

As for the riccia, it's a different story. It doesn't develop roots right?

Mr. Fish

Junior Poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wow 1 reply after one week...?! This site is very innactive, I post one thing on the other forum and get tackled by everymod in there. Very dissapointed in this site...

dealt

Prolific Poster
Sep 25, 2007
Mr. Fish;20152 said:
Wow 1 reply after one week...?! This site is very innactive, I post one thing on the other forum and get tackled by everymod in there. Very dissapointed in this site...

Is that the way you say thank you? If that's the case, then you're very much welcome.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Mr. Fish;20152 said:

Your question was answered accurately and to the point, you did not follow with anything further, however you did decide to whine about it(this is clearly not the site's fault, it's yours) instead of asking a follow up question, the number of post does not count here, the quality does.

Do you need or even want 5 different answers for rather straight forward question? One good answer, which you got was much more to the point.

.........however whining/bad mouthing never helps and alienates you from further help. We are here to help folks with aquatic plants. If you have a further question about aquatic plants, ask.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Hey Mr. Fish,
These people really know their stuff and are direct and to the point...you might not get a huge variety of answers but the answers you get will be good. This is the best aquatic plant forum out there as far as getting well thought out, professional help and scientific explanations of things. Sometimes you have to be patient to get an answer, but the answers you get will be good ones.

Mr. Fish

Junior Poster
Oct 16, 2007
Tom Barr;20156 said:
Your question was answered accurately and to the point, you did not follow with anything further, however you did decide to whine about it(this is clearly not the site's fault, it's yours) instead of asking a follow up question, the number of post does not count here, the quality does.

You just pretty much showed me what your site was about right there. (Very Unprofessional)
Dont be mad at me Tom becuase your site is inactive son, hit me on AIM I'll show you a thing or two to get things active. Whats going on Carrisa?
No the site WERE on is active and delievered with good advice also this is
not the best planted tank site out there. APF clowns this place and way more active...

dealt

Prolific Poster
Sep 25, 2007
Mr. Fish;20200 said:
You just pretty much showed me what your site was about right there. (Very Unprofessional)
Dont be mad at me Tom becuase your site is inactive son, hit me on AIM I'll show you a thing or two to get things active. Whats going on Carrisa?
not the best planted tank site out there. APF clowns this place and way more active...

Give yourself a favor, just stay at the site you're referring so you won't be annoyed and bugged by unprofessional people here.

We're sorry, we didn't live up to your levels. Is that enough?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Mr. Fish;20200 said:

I guess you choose to hang yourself in a fit of irony it seems.......

1. You got a good answer in response to your question.
2. You took it personally and write about it. Your choice there.
3. You whined and complained merely because you got one good response
4. You chose not to add further with a follow up question that was on topic
5. Further, you bad mouthed the site.
6. I left you an out to ask the follow up question etc, you did not take it.
7. You came back with personal attacks to the site's admin, never wise
8. You act like a school yard kid name calling and call the site "very unprofessional"
9. Thus, consider yourself banned.

I am very lax and open to debate and heated exchange, however, I do not tolerate nor put up with personal crap. This site has well over 4000 members, and been up for almost 3 years now, I've banned 2 other folks in that time and closed 2 threads.

I see closed threads, banned members all the time at most other sites.
Not here. And I like it that way.

Dont be mad at me Tom becuase your site is inactive son,

That's your bad assumption and judgementalness, I'm not mad at the activity, I like it. Of course prejudgement, bad assumptions are rather telling of you and the personalization/bad mouthing approach you have chosen to take here.

hit me on AIM I'll show you a thing or two to get things active.

My google rating is pretty high as it is:D
Especially for what did you call it? An "inactive site" that's been up less than 3 years, has no banner exchange program, not one single advertizer etc, and no flame wars, hacks, trolls etc. It's also ironic you chose to give me advice when you do not even own a site:)

I do not hold the same goals as you obviously nor other sites.
So do not assume that I do nor even care. I do not compete with other sites. I care about aquatic plants and habitats. That's the sole purpose. Not to sell advertising space, nor do everything everyone else is doing.
Why would I?

Whats going on Carrisa?

As I said earlier, quality is more to the point, not quantity.
I do not want to read through 5 different responses that all say the same thing.
This is not a social club where everyone goes "Me too" 5 x.
Often down the wrong path.....................
I am much more skeptical.
Hobbyist mob rules?

No, I do not fall for that and never have. Some take that attitude personally, but then you are not really on topic if that is the case.

The Newsletter is the core reason why I started the site with Greg Watson.
As far as new or advancements in the hobby and bridging research to the hobby, there's nothing like it.
So my goals are really quite different than your assumptions. But it does not even matter, you get personal by your own accord and off topic, then you get nasty further. Banned and closed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.