Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what algae is this?

Hi,

I'm fairly new but have researched and done alot od homework. My tank specs are below. I have this algae. Its more like a gunk. it seems to pearl with my injected co2 using a inline atomizer. Here are some pics.

29 gallon
    co2 pressurized injection no fauna so I'm pumping it heavy. yellow drop checker
    saftsorb sub
    ei ferts consistently
    lighting is a Build my led at 50% Capable of high lighting...im just starting at 50%
    medium density. adding more later
    6-8 stems limno arromatica
    4-5 stems lud sp red
    hydrocotyle trip
    dwarf hair grass
    rotala wallichii
    6-8 stems hygrophilla cory and giant
    5 blyxa jap

Attached Files
    Last edited by toaduck; 05-26-2015, 06:42 PM.

I wanted to add that I had a big green dust algae outbreak on the glass and I treated it by letting it grow for 3 weeks, lowering water line and wiping.

Comment

I have the exact same algae, I believe its some kind of BGA, which is actually a bacteria rather than an algae. But honestly I am also not sure bacause I have seen many very different pictures of BGA over the internet. Unlike BGA, thiis stuff is only on the glass surface to the bottom near and under the substrate. Can someone really help us newbies out here?

Comment

Originally posted by ityo39 View Post
        I have the exact same algae, I believe its some kind of BGA, which is actually a bacteria rather than an algae. But honestly I am also not sure bacause I have seen many very different pictures of BGA over the internet. Unlike BGA, thiis stuff is only on the glass surface to the bottom near and under the substrate. Can someone really help us newbies out here?
        The algae in between the substrate and the glass is considered BGA by most, but I think its GSA as its generally sticky to the glass and you need to scrape it off with a blade or card and its only deep into the substrate to where the light bleeds. Areas not having any light, does not have this algae.
        I usually scrape everything to the substrate line and then I just inject some H2O2 between the substrate and the glass. It cleans it up and keeps it that way for a couple of week. I think its just not avoidable and I have seen a lot of setups with virtually no algae except that.

Note that no one will tell you that they are completely algae free. As long as its not on the plants, everything else is ok.
        Last edited by rajkm; 03-13-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Looks like BGA to me too, usually has a particularly earthy smell to it. I've used Hydrogen Peroxide and Erythromycin with success before

Comment

Thanks for the answers, and confirmation. I also started treating with H2O2 using a syringe, and it seems to be working so far. I unfortunately have no access to eritromycin, because it requires prescription by the doctor here in Turkey. Anyhow,I will see if I can get a prescription from our family doctor

Comment

Working...
            X