Red plants without High Light and High co2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red plants without High Light and High co2

Is it possible to get red coloration(not deep but descent red)in plants without using high co2 and high light?

You can try it using low NO3, effectively less than 5 ppm. But thay's awfully close to a deficiency, which will give you other problems.
    regards,
    dutchy.

My 2011, 2012 and 2013 AGA aquascaping contest entries:
    http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?u=21013

Comment

Yes, A reineckii has done very well for me in the past in a non CO2 tank.
      www.BarrReport.com

Comment

@ Dutchy & @Tom

Actually i have rotala indica which were green initially.Used PMDD(with a bit high phosphate) dosing which resulted in pinkish coloration of the rotala.Meantime i gave diy co2.

But when i removed the co2 and started to use EI dosing the pinkish coloration faded a bit.

What you think has actually happened?

Comment

Probably you already had low NO3. When you started to use EI, NO3 levels rose and the plant went green again. Unlike what we like to believe, green is actually a colour that the plant has when it's healthier. Red is a starvation colour
          regards,
          dutchy.

My 2011, 2012 and 2013 AGA aquascaping contest entries:
          http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?u=21013

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	c1010b321ca2febca9734c92f1ed5abb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	2272

This was during EI dosing.Presently the color faded.

I thought red coloration require some special maintenance :P

Thaty means coloration other than green is the symptom of nutrient deficiency ?

Comment

Here in Costa Rica most people have non-co2 because regs are unaffordable for most hobbyists, with enough light red plants are red.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsticks View Post
                Here in Costa Rica most people have non-co2 because regs are unaffordable for most hobbyists, with enough light red plants are red.
                How much and what light(color temp.) you use?

Comment

certain specimens of tiger lotus have a very deep red colouration that isn't mottled with any green. other plants i have seen is ludwiga ovalis, with lower light you'll need the bottom of the stems to be out of view because they'll be straggly
                  aka outcast - tpt ; neven - bca

Comment

I have Rotala indicia in my non co2 low light tank and it does great. The tips get the red when they are close to the surface where the light is a bit higher! I have b.l. and n.l. ludwigia also in there and they do great as well.
                    Thanks

JJ

Plants give me peace!

Comment

Working...
                    X