No announcement yet.

whats the deal with nesaea pedicellata?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the deal with nesaea pedicellata?

Hey guys,

Just trying to grow nesaea pedicellata and ammania gracilis as well. I'm having a bit of hit and miss with them.

Tank specs are
    130g - 48 x 24 x 28 deep
    3x 54w hot5's w reflectors at 32" from substrate 2x gieseman midday 1 gieseman aquaflora.

Up aquasoil
    pressurised co2 - rio 1100 needle wheel, sera 1000 reactor
    flow approx 10x volume
    EI dosing 3x week

1 3/4 teaspoons of kno3
    3/4 teaspoon trace csm+b
    3/4 teaspoon kh2po4

2 tablespoons equilibrium at water change 50%
    1 tablespoon khco3 potassium bicarbinate
    -kh4
    -gh4-6 i think... i don't trust the cheap test kits

All plants are growing quite nicely no obvious signs of deficiency except for ammania gracilis and nesaea pedicellata which have small crinkled red new growth.
    At first i thought co2,co2,co2 and more co2, I've got my co2 running all day at a constant level with the ph controller only being used for monitoring purposes. anything i should try different? I've changed the flow and increased the bubble rate slowly. I'm just out of ideas and thought theres probably something i'm missing.

PS. Stems that are shaded seem to have less colour but don't have deformed growth

Sam

CO2 Is The Likely Culprit... Sorry...

Hi Sam,

Just to be clear are the dosing rates you list three times a week?

I am not familiar with Nesaea pedicellata, I will have to look it up. Perhaps you know is this plant seasonally submersed?

I keep African Green Hygro, Ammania gracilis likes nutrients, loves iron, it is quite demanding on the CO2 side, stable CO2 and good light.

How sure are you of your dissolved CO2?

Biollante

The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
    • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

I am using a sera 1000 reactor on a 1200l/h pump at one end and at the other end i have the rio 1100 needlewheel. i have a drop checker with 4dkh solution which is slightly yellow at lights on.

Comment

Nothing But Questions

Hi Sam,

Have you tried moving the drop checker around? Or multiple drop checkers?
        Even ugly temporary ones can help.

About the dosing you listed; are those the three-times-a-week or the weekly cumulative amounts you have listed?

1 3/4 teaspoons of kno3
        3/4 teaspoon trace csm+b
        3/4 teaspoon kh2po4

Biollante
        The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
        • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
        • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
        • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

I'd still focus on CO2, A gracilius is a weed with good CO2, even without soil...........I've had it get very large and nice with less.

Even in hard tap, or soft...........
          www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Thanks guys,

I just replaced a nano 2000l/hr wavemaker with a 3000l/hr which is sending the co2 mist around more and i gained better surface agitation which meant i was able to drop the ph controller down .07. which i'm hoping will make a large difference. Do these plants (ie nesaea pedicellata and ammania gracilis) stunt when re-positioned or put into a new tank? the A. Gracilis when it stunts automatically sends some branches which seem to grow well under the same conditions.

I've been setting the co2 to turn on 2hrs before lights on so the ph is within .10 of its target when i wake up, i then adjust the bubble rate so it then takes the rest of the day to go that last .10. Testing to see if this will improve everything. So far it's been hard to tell if theres been any big change after 2 weeks of doing this.

Are there any more this i should consider with the co2?

Comment

I Am Curious (Green)

Hi Sam,

I know it never seem right, but this appears to be an absolutely classic case of CO2, probably levels as well as stability.:gw

I am not a fan of misting (CO2) so it would probably be better if others advised you.

Still I am curious about the dosing.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Yeah there being dosed three times a week

Comment

How do I get higher co2 levels now? I hate plants

Comment

I Tend To Be A Little Slow... Everyone Says I Am "Special"

Hi Sam,

Are the amounts you listed, weekly totals?

Or are they what you dose each time, three times a week?

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Comment

There what I dose at a time 3 x a week.

In regards to co2 where would you guys go next knowing my set up as listed on the first post. I'm lost as to go with this. I've gone from reactors to needlewheels to controllers then off controllers increased flow changed pumps increase surface movement.....
                      I can't increase bubble rate or drop the ph in the ph controller or the fish will stress. I have had drop checkers all over the tank and they've always been yellow.

What to change?......

Comment

Less light maybe? less light less CO2 demand (and less $$ on the electricity bill).

Comment

I'm having a bit of hit and miss with them.
                          I am there as well for the last 5 years.

But..... very maybe I am getting there.

Just my 2 cents:

-CO2 deficiency: yes. very likely. but not always.
                          -a toxicity: big BS.
                          -a deficiency: yes. very likely.
                          -which deficiency? no answer. just add more ferts.

greets,

yme

Comment

Thanks guys,
                            I used to use less light but i like 3 because it doesn't seem too strong yet i get more coverage(width) with 3, 2 i have dark patches behind the back stems
                            i'm thinking i'll just add a reactor on every flow line in and throw the co2 down it i'm now running 2 1000 reactors and a mist from rio 1100.

***please ignore the background it's on old towel****

Comment

Going back to my original question, Where to go next in improving my co2 in both stability and levels? I'm going crazy

I want enough light to give me semi decent colouration in red plants like ammania gracilis and ludwigia gladulosa.

I'm asking myself what would Tom do.........

Comment

Working...
                              X