Syngnothus Belem

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
GH/KH aren't an issue... pH isn't really either. Just wondered how adaptive they were to storing whats needed without co2 injection.
My GH is around 5 and KH 2 right of the tap. pH isn't too bad for the most part but that can be changed thru various methods and I don't mean by destroying the water with acids. Like a mix of RO and tap could bring the pH down. I don't think it would take too large of a mixture. My water is fairly neutral around 7 - 7.2 With CO2 it usually drops to around 6 - 6.2 for reasonable concentrations. Thanks for the info though.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Pick Your Plants/Critters To Match Your Water/Equipment

Hi,

I think Dutchy is right, as usual:), you will kill this plant quickly.:eek:

Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' is a robust plant when its requirements are met.:gw

Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' likes CO2.

Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' likes acidic substrate.

You might very well get away with an inert substrate as long as everything else is right.

Biollante

wearsbunnyslippers

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2007
i am busy killing this plant at the moment. i have decent co2, 4 24w t5's, aquasoil and only using RO water. ei dosing, and it is melting fast...

jaidexl

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2006
Fort Myers Florida
I have experience with it in a somewhat inert substrate. It grew well for a few months in sand, 30gl, 3wpg PC, 2x DYI co2, dry fert dosing similar to EI, and jungle root tabs. I eventually killed it during a period is collectoritus and stumbling upon the secret for growing stems, everything including belem shot into overdrive and I failed to compensate with extra dosing, nitrate dropped to zero and the belem went downhill.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm pretty sure it needs plenty of CO2 and is a poor competitor.
I had a massive stand of it in my 180 for a couple of years, good for CO2 testing since it's very responsive if CO2 is good, and does poorly if not.

Non CO2.......I sort of doubt it.