Proserpinaca palustris "Cuba"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proserpinaca palustris "Cuba"

I've recently aqquired some stems of this gorgeous plant. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to maintain that deep red color. Some say low NO3, others say 10-20ppm of Mg. I have no clue. (and I'm hesitant to experiment since my planted tank is still growing in)

I'm currently using a bit low lightning for this plant, or so I've been told. 4x 24w T5HO. It's a Giesemann fixture and it also has a 150W MH that I'm not using atm.

Any help appreciated.

Red Plants: Low NO3, I Do Not Think So

Hi,

Not much of a believer in the whole low NO3 thing, I have found that keeping the plants in ther comfort range is best, with some “red” plants there are simply a lot of variants.

I have not had much experience with “mermaid weed,” a little quick research indicates it likes brighter conditions, which I have found is often code for give it some space… I am not sure it is really nessacary to increase the lighting substantailly.:gw Increasing the lighting dramatically can have the affect of throwing off the system, as you say you are in the "grow-in" phase and apparently happy with the results.

This weed also takes a little time to settle in and make itself at home.

Tell us your experience as you progress.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
    • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

It's been in there for about 3 weeks now. It was rather shabby when I got it, leaves all curled. Great color, though!

When I got it:

Now:

I'll give it some time. It has been moved around aswell, so that might have some impact on it.

Comment

Working...
      X