60cube with fissidens and bolbitus

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
faf68a10.jpg

1852cfe9.jpg

Dwarf belem hairgrass is a good choice here.

Needs to grow in towards the rear more still.
Likely ought to hack the fissidens back some too.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Nice! Especially inspiring in that iI've only seen this style -- vertical hardscape, mountainous moss/fissidens -- done so strickingly in what seem to be tanks by folks in the East. L-o-v-e the level of maintenance. I do not favor the foreground: I get this sense it is too tidy for the magic that comes above it, but overall still one of my favorites from many favorites of your tanks. Dare I say it: completely unexpected. More pics!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I chose belem hairgrass because, well, I can sell it easily, and it only gets 1-2cm tall.
It has a nice color contrast.

The Fissidens is a weed that got loose really, but it looks okay in there.
I'll move the rest of the Hygro porto velho out of the rear and allow the grass to grow around the back and trim the bolbitus up some.

It's not much work.

It has black flourite sand.

You cannot see them, but there's a dozen leopard frog plecos in here.
I have about 15 caves drilled into the wood and in the grotto in the back.

There's also a lot of RCS, maybe 200 in here.
Without more light, no way to get the Brass tetras in focus, they are very active.'

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I chose belem hairgrass because, well, I can sell it easily, and it only gets 1-2cm tall.
It has a nice color contrast.

The Fissidens is a weed that got loose really, but it looks okay in there.
I'll move the rest of the Hygro porto velho out of the rear and allow the grass to grow around the back and trim the bolbitus up some.

It's not much work.

It has black flourite sand.

You cannot see them, but there's a dozen leopard frog plecos in here.
I have about 15 caves drilled into the wood and in the grotto in the back.

There's also a lot of RCS, maybe 200 in here.
Without more light, no way to get the Brass tetras in focus, they are very active.'

Regards,
Tom Barr

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Beautifully done!
proud.gif

Tom, I have an ADA 45-C that will be up and running pretty soon, I'm working on the stand now. If you don't mind I'll be pm'ing you about some of your trimmings.

I'm not surprised about your tank... you always have something up your sleeves :cool:

Dan

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Awful. Awful. ;-)

Hey Tom, I assume you have a DIY needle wheel (RIO) tucked down in the back left-hand corner? And the power head at the top left is just for a bit of movement and surface ripple?

I love the foreground, looks awesome.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No needle wheel in this tank.
Just the one disc(AM 50mm)

Regards,
Tom Barr

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Tom Barr;56290 said:
Are they shorter than Japanese Hairgrass or are they identical plants ? Please advise. TIA.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
rthomas;61122 said:
Are they shorter than Japanese Hairgrass or are they identical plants ? Please advise. TIA.

I suppose they are the same, if they curve back and only get 2-3cm max, then yes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
GillesF;61605 said:
How do you get the CO2 evenly distributed with the HOB filter? Do you have to inject a high amount?
I LOVE the hardscape on this one, very natural!

I use a Wet/dry filter not a HOB filter.

There is about 300gph through the filter, then another 200 gph running through the powerhead near the top.

Unfortunately, the moss and the tiny bit of Riccia has infested this tank.
I think I'll have to tear the entire tank down and pick and clean everything that goes back in it.

No way to remove it from the grass.
I can knock it back and live with it, but it will be a weedy mess.

I hate weeds that infest other weeds:)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Jim Miller;61830 said:
Tom

Could you provide some pix and tech details of the w/d filters you've been using lately?

Thanks

Jim

5862f9f8.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I removed the Hairgrass and added C parva now.

The Riccia and moss infested the grass way too much to handle.

I also removed the brass tetras and now have coral ark pencils which do nicely in here.

I will sell the tank shortly and replace it and the other 60 Cube with a 70 Gal rimless starfire tank like the 120 ADA like tank and the 60p ADA.

These tanks will be 36L x 24D x 18H. Same filters and all, ADA AS, I likely will DIY some LED's for these though, but for now, I'll use the 4x 24W Tek lights.