60cube with fissidens and bolbitus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60cube with fissidens and bolbitus

Dwarf belem hairgrass is a good choice here.

Needs to grow in towards the rear more still.
    Likely ought to hack the fissidens back some too.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    www.BarrReport.com

Nice! Especially inspiring in that iI've only seen this style -- vertical hardscape, mountainous moss/fissidens -- done so strickingly in what seem to be tanks by folks in the East. L-o-v-e the level of maintenance. I do not favor the foreground: I get this sense it is too tidy for the magic that comes above it, but overall still one of my favorites from many favorites of your tanks. Dare I say it: completely unexpected. More pics!
    Let's all grow great tanks.

rota.la

My plant tweets pics!

Comment

Nice tank. You have my vote for Aquascaper of the month October

regards,
      dutchy
      regards,
      dutchy.

My 2011, 2012 and 2013 AGA aquascaping contest entries:
      http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?u=21013

Comment

Tom, what substrate do you use in this tank?

Comment

I chose belem hairgrass because, well, I can sell it easily, and it only gets 1-2cm tall.
          It has a nice color contrast.

The Fissidens is a weed that got loose really, but it looks okay in there.
          I'll move the rest of the Hygro porto velho out of the rear and allow the grass to grow around the back and trim the bolbitus up some.

It's not much work.

It has black flourite sand.

You cannot see them, but there's a dozen leopard frog plecos in here.
          I have about 15 caves drilled into the wood and in the grotto in the back.

There's also a lot of RCS, maybe 200 in here.
          Without more light, no way to get the Brass tetras in focus, they are very active.'

Regards,
          Tom Barr
          www.BarrReport.com

Comment

I chose belem hairgrass because, well, I can sell it easily, and it only gets 1-2cm tall.
            It has a nice color contrast.

The Fissidens is a weed that got loose really, but it looks okay in there.
            I'll move the rest of the Hygro porto velho out of the rear and allow the grass to grow around the back and trim the bolbitus up some.

It's not much work.

It has black flourite sand.

You cannot see them, but there's a dozen leopard frog plecos in here.
            I have about 15 caves drilled into the wood and in the grotto in the back.

There's also a lot of RCS, maybe 200 in here.
            Without more light, no way to get the Brass tetras in focus, they are very active.'

Regards,
            Tom Barr
            www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Beautifully done!

Tom, I have an ADA 45-C that will be up and running pretty soon, I'm working on the stand now. If you don't mind I'll be pm'ing you about some of your trimmings.

I'm not surprised about your tank... you always have something up your sleeves

Dan
              If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
              Ronald Reagan

Comment

Awful. Awful. ;-)

Hey Tom, I assume you have a DIY needle wheel (RIO) tucked down in the back left-hand corner? And the power head at the top left is just for a bit of movement and surface ripple?

I love the foreground, looks awesome.
                6' Planted Tank (72" x 18" x 20") - 4 x 30W T8 Tri-Phosphors - 2 x Eheim 2217 'Classic' canisters
                Flourite substrate - Ocean Runner OR-2500 + AM1000 - Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045
                6.8kg Catalina CO2 - Red Sea Pro regulator - Swagelok B-SS4-A metering valve - Vecton 600 UV

Comment

Ah...I think I've just spotted a disc diffuser!
                  6' Planted Tank (72" x 18" x 20") - 4 x 30W T8 Tri-Phosphors - 2 x Eheim 2217 'Classic' canisters
                  Flourite substrate - Ocean Runner OR-2500 + AM1000 - Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045
                  6.8kg Catalina CO2 - Red Sea Pro regulator - Swagelok B-SS4-A metering valve - Vecton 600 UV

Comment

No needle wheel in this tank.
                    Just the one disc(AM 50mm)

Regards,
                    Tom Barr
                    www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Barr View Post
                      Are they shorter than Japanese Hairgrass or are they identical plants ? Please advise. TIA.
                      Roger Thomas

Comment

How do you get the CO2 evenly distributed with the HOB filter? Do you have to inject a high amount?
                        I LOVE the hardscape on this one, very natural!

Comment

Originally posted by rthomas View Post
                          Are they shorter than Japanese Hairgrass or are they identical plants ? Please advise. TIA.
                          I suppose they are the same, if they curve back and only get 2-3cm max, then yes.

Regards,
                          Tom Barr
                          www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Originally posted by GillesF View Post
                            How do you get the CO2 evenly distributed with the HOB filter? Do you have to inject a high amount?
                            I LOVE the hardscape on this one, very natural!
                            I use a Wet/dry filter not a HOB filter.

There is about 300gph through the filter, then another 200 gph running through the powerhead near the top.

Unfortunately, the moss and the tiny bit of Riccia has infested this tank.
                            I think I'll have to tear the entire tank down and pick and clean everything that goes back in it.

No way to remove it from the grass.
                            I can knock it back and live with it, but it will be a weedy mess.

I hate weeds that infest other weeds
                            www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X