Young Java Fern Leaf Tips

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
Newer leaves of my Microsorum pteropus are turning glassy at the tips. I've seen this occassionally before, but just now I have quite a bit of this going on and would like to correct the problem before it gets any worse.

Any comments on what the problem may be?

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
This is not a problem, when they grow and are healthy they are translucent at the tips :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, that is what the new growth should appear like.

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
For real?! I've been keeping this plant for four years and seen this from time to time, but not always. Just now, seeing it A LOT made me wonder if I had some nutrient deficiency or disease issues. It looks alarming, but I am glad to know it's okay. Thanks.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

You are seeing healthy plant growth. It is the opposite of a deficiency...congrats...you should see it starting to get larger leaves and the more plantlets and such. When you look again after 2 weeks and has doubled in mass, you KNOW you are on the right track..

Once java of almost any variety IME has established itself, leave it alone and let it do its thing. You just keep providing those good conditions...

Got pics so we can be sure?

Does it look like this?

View attachment 3510

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
When I first set this 210 up, I had some Java fern tied to a few pieces of wood in a 45 gallon that was maybe two years old and starting to get BBA really bad. I cleaned it up best I could and moved it into the 210 and it really took off. I had a nice driftwood grotto all across the midline of the 210 with big broad-leaf Java fern reaching up everywhere.

What's in here now is remnant from the algae wars. Black rust with corrosive holes came first, and that was devastating. I tried to salvage leaves from this, but a lot was lost in this war since I felt I had to be ruthless. Just recently, I have seen some hair and crusty dark algaes try to set in on the big, older leaves, as they seem never to have really recovered and were not vital. I have been reluctantly pruning out these old rusty leaves, as well as the small tatty stuff with the BBA tufts.

Only now, with some new changes in the lights, filters, and another 'scape redo, do I see some newer leaves getting crisp and free of algal infestation, and many of these leaves are starting to show the glassy tips. I will try to get some pics this week after I do some maintenance. I just pulled up a big stand of chain sword and have some clearing up to do.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Now you can grow it, now you can sell it! And folks in Oz shall certainly buy it!

Paul G

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2011
Independence MO
Pictures of the Java fern leaf tips. I need to improve my photoskills.

If this is a sign that all is well with these plants, I am very glad of it, as I have quite a few of these leaves.

001-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

I have been going over the entire bunch of the Java fern and removing any older leaves that just aren't doing at all well. I am getting a lot of it out, but I hope it will allow the base plant to devote more energy to younger growth.

When I said I was ruthless with it the last time I did this, I have to now emphasize that I was not ruthless enough. I had hopes that some older growth would "snap out of it," but it doesn't seem to work that way at all. With this plant, at the first sign of discoloration or stubborn algae, I will excise that leaf without hesitation. The sooner you do it, the sooner younger leaves will come in, right?

Yo-han

Guru Class Expert
Feb 6, 2011
Netherlands
This plant is right in the middle of my tank underneath 324W t5 with good reflectors:
11gksr4.jpg

A lot of CO2 goes in as well...