Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eichornia diversifolia

Hello

I recently topped and replanted a stem of eichornia diversifolia. And about a day later the crown started to melt. The others are fine but they don't need trimmIng yet so just wanting to if this species can be trimmed like that? I can only think that it might be sensitive to me pinching it off with my fingers instead of using my scissors.

Thanks
    Sam

Tops can be planted, but I always use sissors when trimming. I would think the pinching method would cause more stress on this plant. Also, make sure there is direct light or it will melt.

Comment

Hi Sam,

I forgot to mention in AL forum to you, this plant is quite sensitive to light changes. Whenever you are doing topping, they need good direct light with no shaded light...also a sucker for Co2. If not, they tend to go black and start melting off.

Comment

Thanks Alan

Yeah it could have been shaded by something without realizing it. If the top has melted will new side shoots form at the next node?

Comment

I dont actually think so, but i dont hv much experience with this plant.
          Why dont you just trim off the melted bit and im sure they will grow back

Comment

Hey Alan,

Good news, the rooted portions do produce side shoots after trimming quite prolifically. I've gone from 5 stems to 3 now looking at 9 stems at least shortly. They're forming up along the plant at the nodes. 1 rooted stem has 2 the other has 3 forming

Comment

Working...
            X