Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Exact Just Plus In North America, From What I Can Tell.

Hi,

For whatever reasons Osmocote® Exact® and so forth are not available in North America, Osmocote Plus seems most closely to match Osmocote® Exact® Standard High K, which for North America would still be low-side K.

I find most of this to be true for Osmocote® Plus® and Osmocote® for that matter.

The variation I have observed is the “Temperature influences on the longevity” chart on page 16, I find the chart red “M” 3-4 to be exactly what I am seeing with Osmocote® Plus® in the water, at least for the 25-30°C range.

What I am observing from Osmocote® Plus® in the substrate of a dozen tanks, used at the light container gardening rate, is closer to blue “M” 8-9 for 25-30°C.

As to Osmocote® Plus® losing its humph after a few months, I have the Osmocote® Plus® I purchased a little over 3-months ago for this investigation sitting here on my desk. I have opened it several times and hand tightened the cap each time, the temperature in here has pretty much been between 23.9°C and 28°C. They look all right, a bit of dust settled in the bottom. I will test some. If they leaked, I assume I will find a heavy concentration in the bottom.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
    • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

The best part of all of this, is that when you add osmocote+ to your cart on amazon.com and then amazon displays ->

Items Frequently Bought With Scotts Company Osmocote Plus Multi Purpose...

It lists '00' size gel caps as the first two recommendations!!! Lol If I wonder if Scotts has caught on to the wave of aquarium hobbyists buying up their product

It also displays seachem and a pair of fluval 'planting' tongs further down haha

Comment

Question - How often do you guys add your ice cubes to the root areas of the plants?

Do you plant them once, twice a year, three times? I've always been paranoid about that one. I use gel capsules as the ice thing seems to be tricky to keep it down...keeps trying to escape and float. Anyway, I have a small capsule maker so it's easy. My problem is that I right now mostly do the water column....I've been doing the floor only once a year.

Oops. I forgot to ask, about how many of the little ball thingies do you guys put in your ice cubes.

Suggestions?

Monica
        To plant more, or not to plant more, that is the question. Grin.

Comment

For me personally, they last a long time, well over a year. Find an existing/old one and pop it between your fingers.
          If it has a yellow snotty looking stuff in it, its still good. When expended, it will be a hollow shell.

Maybe some traces or other element will run out before it gets hollow, but it doesn't seem so.

I think Tom once said (maybe in this thread) that 5 ml of capsules per ice cube. If you had one capsule every 1/2 or 1 inch that would be good.

I don't think you can over do it, but they are a pain if they get loose.

Comment

Cool

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to mark my calendar the next time I do it and make sure I always do it once a year. I hadn't thought to try and find one and dig it up. I also didn't realize they were supposed to be that close to each other. I think I may have put too little. Hmm.

Monica
            To plant more, or not to plant more, that is the question. Grin.

Comment

I love the ice cube idea very clever but very simple
              kisanjong - "Jason"

barrreport.com
              glassboxgardeners.com

Need manzanita and live in the UK?. http://glassboxgardeners.com/classif...r-sale-uk.html

Comment

This was originally a Kiwi's idea(I forgot his name), not mine, but he suggested using mud, frozen, to add new fresh soil to plants. Soil is far messier than any osmocoat etc. But it works just as well. Main thing is to add the ferts to the sediment without making a mess.

But if you are all into dirt and soil instead of osmocoat etc, then the method works nicely for that.
                Folks also roll clay with osmocoat or use clay and dirt mixes to add below the sediment.

So you have a few ways to do this.

There's also a the turkey baster method.

So 3-4 ways easily.
                www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Working...
                X