I am going to the milky way!

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Well, that is sorta how my new NO3 fertilizer looks.
(Very) partially based yet fully inspired by the AR Makro Spezial N fertilizer, but without urea.

I have dilluted the following chemicals into 1 liter:
KNO3: 15.08 grams
K2SO4: 14.85 grams
Ca(NO3)2*4(H2O): 117.56 grams
Mg(NO3)2*6(H2O): 60 grams

This gives me, when adding 1 ml of this solution to 50 liters of water:
- 2 ppm NO3
- 0.25ppm K
- 0.4ppm Ca
- 0.115 ppm Mg

p.s. i am not German, but the calculator i used is :)

N-boost-2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Well, the solubility of Ca(NO3)2.4H2O at room temperature is 121 mg/mL, which equals 121 grams.
I used boiled R/O water to dissolve it.

BigFlusher

Prolific Poster
Dec 25, 2009
Sun City West, AZ
Bio may have gotten this one wrong

it is not the Ca&Mg but the sulfate.

@Tug should be no problem getting Ca(NO3)2 in solution as something like 130g to 100g H2O

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Figured something like that. This morning i had about 1cm of goo in the bottom of the container which would not dissolve. Is this the Sulfate reacting?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yea, I think Tug is correct, the K2SO4 is goo like if you add too much, whereas Ca(NO3)2 is extremely soluble(all Nitrate salts are).

Also, one of the points.............of using KNO3, is that it is Rich in K+ relative to nitrogen.........in other words, adding KNO3 will prevent any limitations of growth issues in 99% of planted aquariums, maybe more.

The whole point of the special N fert is about Ca/Mg/K+ ratios, which I think are baloney.
Once these ions dissolve, it does not matter WHERE they originate.

If you did not have enough N, or K+, or perhaps Mg.........was low........then you start watching and dosing carefully...........well, yes, you will have better results in many cases.
But that does not imply WHY or that it was the ratio etc.

I've had all sorts of Ca and Mg and K+ ratios, never once have I once been able to attribute any negative growth aspect to changes I've made. This ratio baloney got going back around 2001 and like many myths, simply will not die. Folks have repackaged the claim and redo things with it, but if it was indeed true, how come I cannot induce the growth issues that some claim? Do the folks that use it go back and check? Not that I've ever seen.
I'll come across harsh about this, but it is because I've tried to mess with these to get a negative growth or what many assumed that was caused by some magic ratio.

How come my plants grow well without any of that?

I grow them as well as anyone, I grow the more eclectic rare, picky, difficult species that are available. I cannot verify the claims. Some folks say they had better results, but ........we do not know why. I can make the same claim about dosing more traces vs the typical dosing of 0.1ppm Fe or less......
As many of these hobbyists do not go back and test to see.............they are never going to be sure. There are many thing that it could be, without looking at those, it's impossible to say much.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
If You Are Not Part Of The Solution You Must Be Precipitate (Getting Really Old)

Hi Gilles, All,

Bigflusher and Tug are correct.
:p
  • In a single replacement reaction the Potassium sulfate and Calcium nitrate
  • are precipitating Calcium sulfate.
I am with Tom Barr entirely on this specific ratios rubbish.
:encouragement:

I think you are working to hard.
:glee:

Biollante

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
I made one without the K2SO4 and it works like a charm. 0 precipitation. Will see how this one goes.

p.s. spent the last 6 hours fixing my CO2. Major re-plumbing down under, but it is finished. No more atomizers, welcome back AM1000 (the third one i bought...)

Aquadream

Guru Class Expert
Jul 22, 2011
Gilles;79580 said:
I made one without the K2SO4 and it works like a charm. 0 precipitation. Will see how this one goes.

p.s. spent the last 6 hours fixing my CO2. Major re-plumbing down under, but it is finished. No more atomizers, welcome back AM1000 (the third one i bought...)
I have been using this special N fertilizer recipe for few months by now. In my case it does work somewhat better than just KNO3, but I am not sure why. my observation is that this recipe works better in aquariums with very soft water KH 1-2, GH 2-3. In water with higher KH and GH it does not have so much effect.
My small theory is that everyday supply of small amounts of Ca++ and Mg++ could benefit some plant species. I tested that theory with K+. If I supply the weekly amount of K+ at once in the beginning of the week by the end of the week I get K+ deficiency symptoms. If I supply smaller amounts of K+ every day then I do not get any K+ related problems. In both cases I am talking about the same weekly amount of K+ of 30ppm.
My guess is that the other cations would be more accessible if supplied every day or at least few times per week to prevent possible participation into insoluble or inaccessible compounds.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Gilles;79580 said:

Wise move, this was the root of the problem.
Now to tweak and make sure it's running correctly. Do this slowly and watch.

My 70 Gal has developed a leak somewhere in the CO2, which was leading to the HC acting weird.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Aquadream;79586 said:
I have been using this special N fertilizer recipe for few months by now. In my case it does work somewhat better than just KNO3, but I am not sure why. my observation is that this recipe works better in aquariums with very soft water KH 1-2, GH 2-3. In water with higher KH and GH it does not have so much effect.
My small theory is that everyday supply of small amounts of Ca++ and Mg++ could benefit some plant species. I tested that theory with K+. If I supply the weekly amount of K+ at once in the beginning of the week by the end of the week I get K+ deficiency symptoms. If I supply smaller amounts of K+ every day then I do not get any K+ related problems. In both cases I am talking about the same weekly amount of K+ of 30ppm.
My guess is that the other cations would be more accessible if supplied every day or at least few times per week to prevent possible participation into insoluble or inaccessible compounds.

Well of course it will work better where folks do not use Gh booster.
Which as far as I can tell, has been the case with many that have used it.
Whether the Ca and Mg come from sulfate or NO3 really do not matter and K+ is independent as long as it is not limiting.

You still have SO4 from K2SO4
You still have Ca, Mg and NO3.

Whether it's dry form makes a difference or not is baloney.
Same for the ratios.

Once in the water.....they are dissolved.

I do not buy this............

You can add GH booster and should see the same effect, if not, then it is something else that was overlooked.
Unless the salts are not dissolving and there is some sort of "magic", this should be true.

If you go from say 30ppm down to say 5ppm, vs simply staying at 30ppm to 20ppm, then that might be why.......
I dose 2-3x a week, I do not try and push weekly dosing.

With higher rates of growth, it seems 2-3x a week is the min for dosing, EI does/suggest this, but some go daily also with EI.

If you dose daily vs 1x a week, of course you will see improvement.

I have no issue with special N, but it's simply adding a GH booster to the N vs GH booster alone(which should be added if you use very soft water and in many cases even if not).
I honestly cannot see how there's any difference other than Liebig's law going on here, the salt fertilizers ALL DISSOLVE into the same things once in the water.

As long as the absolute levels do not fall to limiting values or where the plants have to adapt enzymatically due to wide flux of ppm's in the water(1x a week say vs 2-3x a week), this should and does not make any difference.
I've moved ferts around and over wider ranges than most hobbyists, I can see no evidence to support any of this. My tanks/plants can only getting through scaping and general care, not adding light/CO2 or some special fertilizer ratio/routine.

For maintaining stable ppm's , this works over a much wider range in the upper ranges vs the lower ranges, so if you like to add barely enough, or keep the dosing very lean to lean, then you might see some enzymatic effects and adaptations, but that is due to limiting and running things lean, not due to a special magic.
As you approach a limitation......you have to start dosing more carefully and daily etc. Every growth curve, dosing method, Liebig's law predicts this.

I have soft water, GH of 2 and KH of 1. I dose 2x a week mostly except for Traces, which has some Mg. I dose K2SO4/CaSO4/MgSO4 as Gh booster 2x a week.
I use KH2PO4 and KNO3 otherwise. Now if they went with the Urea/NH4 aspect, then that would make a difference...........as NH4+ NO4 vs NO3 might make some difference, there is some support for that, but curiously....the folks using this dosing have abandoned that, and only are using NO3 alone.
They were just limited prior to using this and did not use GH booster is all. They need to go back and see if the GH booster does the same effect, and it better..........otherwise they made a mistake somewhere.

As I am adding K+ as Gh booster, and as KNO3(much more than Special N), and as KH2PO4(also a lot more than many of the dosing folks that use special N), I have little issue, as long as the levels do not fall below 10-20ppm, I'm good.
How does one get K+ deficiency at 10-20ppm?

I can see say 5ppm or less etc......so then daily becomes important perhaps.........but at say 20-30ppm...........there is little difference between 20 and 30ppm.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
It Just Drops Out

Hi,

The fact is that CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] is not particularly soluble in water.

A couple of grams of Barr’s GH Booster in 300-ml of water really does not dissolve.

The reason we get away with it is we are dropping a few grams into dozens or hundreds of liters of water. Even so, it takes a while to get into the water column and a good percentage ends up in the sediment.

Calcium even when dosed as something soluble such as CaCl [SUB]2[/SUB] or Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB] tends to end up in the sediment fairly quickly, in part due to its affinity for sulfate, which most aquariums have in excess.

Biollante

Last edited by a moderator:

yme

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
to give my 2 cents:

I do think that something like spezial N can be a good thing. I didn't do the math, but by using full EI the conductivity of my tank gets easy into 700-800 uS. Also, using KNO3 my K levels are rising during the week and are around 20-50 mg/l. By replacing K for Mg and Ca one can add less salts in total (less conductivity) and still have the necessary elements in sufficient amounts.

greets,

yme

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Interesting, But To What Purpose?

yme;79599 said:
to give my 2 cents:

I do think that something like spezial N can be a good thing. I didn't do the math, but by using full EI the conductivity of my tank gets easy into 700-800 uS. Also, using KNO3 my K levels are rising during the week and are around 20-50 mg/l. By replacing K for Mg and Ca one can add less salts in total (less conductivity) and still have the necessary elements in sufficient amounts.
greets, yme

Hi,

I did a little quick arithmetic and it appears that this does reduce TDS by maybe 130-ppm ([SUP][SUB]203-µS[/SUB][/SUP]/[SUB]cm[/SUB]).

I am not sure what this means for plant growth, but it is interesting.
:nonchalance:

Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
yme;79599 said:
to give my 2 cents:

greets,

yme

My Conductivity stays around 300uS..........and goes up about 200uS after dosing, so it starts around 100Us, a tad less etc,...........then I add the ferts.

My K+ is about 30-50ppm a week.

You can see the 120 gal tank, the 180, the 60's, the 90, the 350, the 1600, the 20, the 70's, the 20's.
I do not have any issues I can relate to it.

Hydroponic solutions are much higher conductivity and this is what is used to grow plants at Tropica.
Salinity stress(which is what you are implying by suggesting Conductivity) really does not occur till it is much higher and then............much more due to Na+, than K+.
I'd like to hear what negative effects K+ does and over a specific ppm range, I've not heard anything specific about the benefits of the before and or after effects.

Still, it is EASY to test and see if such claims hold water.
If it is only the K+, we can add more of that and see while maintaining the other ions.

But you need to have the plants growing and doing well before hand, then add moire K+ or add less of something else etc.
SO4's really have little to do with it till they become limiting, which is near impossible in FW tanks.
Tap water is loaded with SO4. Unless you use a lot of RO, you likely have plenty of that one.

Many people really larded on K+ during the PMDD days, people were telling others to add more K+ for nearly any issue. It was nuts.
I suggested that you did not need to add K2SO4 to PMDD since you got more than enough from KNO3 alone.

Which is also true.

So a GH booster could be modified to have just CaSO4/MgSO4 or a mix of MgCl2/CaCl2 or sub Ca(NO3)2 and Mg(NO3)2.
But it has little to do with Nitrogen. It's really an issue of folks not adding enough GH, not K+.

I use Ca(NO3)2 and Mg(NO3)2 for my reef tanks. K+ is a non issue there but Ca and Mg are much more important.
For freshwater tanks, good stable K+/Ca/Mg, might be a key for some people and the special N might get them to do that, but in and of themselves, I've not found some special dosing that effective, unless....something was limiting.
You add enough ferts........and that's enough, if you miss a day, no big deal, as long as you are somewhat consistent etc. I've not found them that important as long as you add some (over a wide range).

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Biollante;79610 said:
Hi,

I did a little quick arithmetic and it appears that this does reduce TDS by maybe 130-ppm ([SUP][SUB]203-µS[/SUB][/SUP]/[SUB]cm[/SUB]).

I am not sure what this means for plant growth, but it is interesting.
:nonchalance:

Biollante

Well, you can modify that further if you want.

And RO water can be used more/less etc, to pick/chose some TDS/Conductivity range.

If your plants lose a lot of leaves because say.........your CO2 tank ran out............this will increase the Conductivity quite a bit, 300-400 uS last time this happened on my 180.
So poor growth, issues entirely unrelated to dosing ferts can cause increases also. Tap water, evaporation, water change frequencies etc.

The change in Conductivity was rapid also.

Plants are pretty good at maintaining turgor and osmotic potential against changes in their external environment.
I do not think subtle differences in uS are going to cost the plant much energy differences in terms of homeostasis, 100-200ppm are not that big a factor

Parts per thousand, now you are talking salinity issues for aquatic plants. Even nastier ones like Na+........