2011 AGA International Aquascaping Contest

AquaticGardener

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2011
The 2011 AGA International Aquascaping Contest is open for entries!

All that is required are 1 - 5 photos of your aquarium, a simple entry form, and a signed photo release. You can enter entirely online. We will display all entries permanently on the AGA's web site. You can also choose to have your tank entered in the 2012 Aqua Design Amano contest at the same time.

Winners will receive ribbons and cash awards
Closing date for entries: September 25
Winners announced: November 18

This contest just keeps growing and growing and growing! So fluff the plants, snap those photos, and enter your aquascape in the AGA contest to share with aquatic gardeners and artists around the world!

In an effort to aid worldwide economic recovery, there will be NO ENTRY FEE this year!

Cheryl

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Post processing is rampant in every contest and is frowned upon by Judges.
I can only hope they are aware of post processing and have done it themselves enough to know where "an excess liberty hath been taken".

If you take the image and back process it, you can tell pretty quick.
Judges are doing this work for Free and it is VERY time consuming and hard work.
So there's not a lot of free time to check each one, but the obvious ones. Still, I've never met a single judge who does not take their job seriously.

Even if it was a Free job.

AquaticGardener

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2011
dutchy;69677 said:
I wanted to enter my tank, but after reading an old post that some people alter the pictures with photoshop I'm not sure:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/for...-discussions/953-iaplc-photoshop-issue-2.html

This is not our contest. The link indicates that this is Aqua Design Amano's International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest (IAPLC). We are the Aquatic Gardeners Association. And, I would like to point out that our contest is older than theirs. ;-)

But yes, we do frown on too much photoshop use, and yes, we can usually tell, and yes, points will be taken off. That's one of the benefits of a smaller contest: more attention given to each aquascape. Another difference between the ADA contest and the AGA contest is that the AGA contest has categories: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, Biotope, and Paludarium. This means fewer aquascapes to compete against and more awards to go around.

Hope this helps!

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
I'm going to enter my tank. Pics are already in my album here on the BarrReport.

Not that I think I will win. More of an indication where I am with my scape. I also hope to get some useful comments

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's Free.............and it'll help to dial your tank's out better, folks learn a fair amount from this, and also how to take pics etc.

AquaticGardener

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2011
The 12th annual AGA International Aquascaping Contest is off to a great start!

We already have a number of early entries for the 2011 contest and hope to have a record turnout! The contest closes for entries September 25 and winners will be announced November 18 on the AGA website.

Each of the six categories has a first, second, and third place cash award and ribbon, so there are lots of opportunities to win! There is a separate award for Best in Show, sponsored this year by Aquabid. Remember, the AGA is not charging an entry fee this year. We are seeking donations to cover (& hopefully increase!) the cash awards.

See this page for details on how it works and info about sponsorship.

AquaticGardener

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2011
Only two more weeks to go before the AGA Aquascaping Contest closes September 25!

In Larry Lampert's memory, ZooMed is sponsoring a "Most Innovative" award.

No entry fee this year, but we are seeking donations to cover (& hopefully increase!) the cash awards. See this page for details and info about sponsorship.

Cheryl

AquaticGardener

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2011
One more day! The contest closes for entries September 25. Time to finalize your entry and don't forget the photo release. You have to do that part.

Cheryl