Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **FREE Aquarium Plant Lecture by Tom Barr** - Presented by GSAS

**FREE Aquarium Plant Lecture by Tom Barr** - Presented by GSAS

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased to sponsor a free lecture on aquarium plants by the internationally known aquarist, author (TFH, TAG, FAMA), speaker, and aquarium plant guru ......Tom Barr. Mr Barr has focused his efforts on planted aquariums and aquarium plants since 1989. In addition to teaching, Tom owns a business that designs and maintains aquascaped planted aquariums in the San Francisco area. He also owns and writes for the www.BarrReport.com a planted aquarium web site.

The lecture will be next Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 at 7:30PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West

Doors will open around 7:10PM; the meeting will start at about 7:30PM

The lecture will be followed by a short auction

Open to the public, no entrance fee
    Family friendly but no childcare provided
    Free parking, accessible building, no furry or feathered pets
    Go to GSAS.ORG for more information and directions

Roy
    45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Pressurized CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
    Greater Seattle Aquarium Society
    Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 09-08-2010, 02:24 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][B][I]Roy[/I][/B][/SIZE]
    45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Pressurized CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
    [SIZE="3"][B][URL="http://www.gsas.org/"]Greater Seattle Aquarium Society[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Hi,

Hey Tom, please let us New Yorkers know when you come to NYC.
    "Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"

"In the Shadow of Hermes"

Comment

Originally posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
      Hi,

Hey Tom, please let us New Yorkers know when you come to NYC.
      I love NYC, you guys invite me, I'll come, I'll even act all hillbilly to throw you all off

Regards,
      Tom Barr
      www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Barr View Post
        I love NYC, you guys invite me, I'll come, I'll even act all hillbilly to throw you all off

Regards,
        Tom Barr
        I know you'll come some day

Comment

GSAS had a great Potluck with Tom Barr last night! We feasted on wild salmon, chicken, meatballs, side dishes, and homemade pies. Tom shared some of his views on substrates, CO2 levels, and lighting limited planted aquariums during a question and answer period.

I am really looking forward to learning more at the presentation on Tuesday night!
          [SIZE="3"][B][URL="http://www.gsas.org/"]Greater Seattle Aquarium Society[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I am so jealous I am not there.

Comment

Originally posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
              I am so jealous I am not there.
              Hi barbarossa,

I understand your pain! The club takes care of the travel, and provides lodging but we do not "pay" speakers. We cover the expenses with our two big annual auctions (Plant Auction / Big Annual Auction). Room rental, refreshments, and other club expenses are covered by a "mini-auction" at the end of the meetings where the seller and the club split the revenue 50/50. We are a registered non-profit in the State of Washington.

BTW, we are at 36 hours and counting folks; that's right we are down to just hours!

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
                Hi barbarossa,

I understand your pain! The club takes care of the travel, and provides lodging but we do not "pay" speakers. We cover the expenses with our two big annual auctions (Plant Auction / Big Annual Auction). Room rental, refreshments, and other club expenses are covered by a "mini-auction" at the end of the meetings where the seller and the club split the revenue 50/50. We are a registered non-profit in the State of Washington.

BTW, we are at 36 hours and counting folks; that's right we are down to just hours!
                Hi Seattle_Aquarist,

Maybe I should look to join a similar club in the NYC area. I wonder if Tom had any invitations from such a club in the NY tristate area. I am sure if he comes here in the future, I'll find out. I'll even go to Boston , Philly or DC.

Comment

24 hours from now (tomorrow night)! Hope you can make it!

Comment

Have a blast! Meeting Tom and touring the Behemoth was one of the coolest things I've gotten out of our hobby If there's any chance for video or an audio recording of his presentation, it's appreciated!
                    Let's all grow great tanks.

rota.la

My plant tweets pics!

Comment

Hi Wet,

Erik Olson is our club videographer; he also does the AGA and ACA conventions. If we have permission from a speaker to video the presentation, he is the one that will do it!

Comment

7:30 Tonight!!!

Doors open about 7:00

Comment

Hi All,

Tom gave an awesome presentation! We had one of our largest meeting attendances for a GSAS meeting and the number of "guests" and new member sign-ups was significant!

Tom discussed several subjects including photosynthesis and how light, carbon, and nutrients can be manipulated to affect plant growth. My initial takeaway from that aspect of the talk was a light limited CO2 enhanced environment can provide good plant growth (not necessarily maximum growth) while minimizing the opportunity for algae growth.
                          Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Stop with the tease , video recording please

Anyone taped something?

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezfrelon View Post
                              Stop with the tease , video recording please

Anyone taped something?
                              yes, we have rights too!!!!

regards,
                              dutchy
                              regards,
                              dutchy.

My 2011, 2012 and 2013 AGA aquascaping contest entries:
                              http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?u=21013

Comment

Working...
                              X