AGA convention, Nov 10-12th, San Francisco

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
AGA: Annual Convention

We are proud to announce that the 2006 AGA Aquatic Gardeners Convention will be held at the San Francisco Airport Sheraton, the weekend of November 10-12th 2006, in conjunction with the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society.

We have a great speaker line-up, featuring Ole Pedersen from the University of Copenhagen, Troels Andersen of Tropica, Jeff Senske (of Aquarium Design Group), Dr. George Batten (Research director of Seachem), Eric Do (of SFBAAPS), Ricky Cain (of DFWAPC), and the AGA's own Dorothy Reimer!

Field Trip: Monterey Bay Aquarium Perhaps the finest marine aquarium in the world, the MBA features nearly 200 galleries and exhibits devoted to the diverse habitats of Monterey Bay, including the Outer Bay (1 million gallons), the Kelp Forest (335,000 gallons), Monterey Bay Habitats (326,000 gallons) and Sea Otters along the Rocky Coast (55,000 gallons). World's largest jellyfish galleries. Over 550 species in all. The AGA field trip will include a special behind-the-scenes tour. Field Trip fare includes transportation to and from the aquarium, admission to the MBA (usually a $22 charge) plus some light snacks. Note: You must register for the convention on order to attend the field trip! Note 2: The field trip will only be available to the first 50 people, so register early!

Saturday night will also feature our banquet and aquascaping contest awards, plus a new feature: The Iron Aquascaper. Watch three masters go at it in a head-to-head spontaneous competition using only the aquaria and plants given to them.

Between talks, chat with fellow hobbyists and speakers. After the evenings' events, kick back and enjoy a snack or beverage in the hospitality suite.

Sunday, spend your hard-earned cash on the largest all-aquatic-plant auction in the country. Find some new species, or load up on something you haven't seen in a while.

Hotel info:24-hour complimentary airport shuttle to SF Airport just minutes away, providing access to Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) trains to San Francisco, Oakland and beyond. WiFi access throughout the lobby and public areas. State-of-art fitness center and indoor heated pool, all the comforts and amenities that expected of a full-service, AAA Four Diamond Rated Hotel. For special convention room rate, please reserve your hotel room here (separate reservation through Sheraton, not part of convention registration!).

Nearby attractions include: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, California Academy Of Sciences, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Coyote Point Museum, Exploratorium, Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, Golden Gate Park, plus China Town, the cable cars, and all the theatres & concert venues, eateries, and sights of SF. Or take a ferry to spend an afternoon in redwood groves and oak woodlands of Mt. Tamalpais State Park with the spectacular view from its 2,571-foot peak. On a clear day, you can see the Farallon Islands 25 miles out to sea, the Marin County hills, San Francisco and the bay, hills and cities of the East Bay, and Mount Diablo. On rare occasions, the Sierra Nevada's snow-covered mountains can be seen 150 miles away. Or you can rent a car and travel across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods or the wine country.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You have to come to one of these if you have not come before.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
And even if some of our faces are not all that pretty, it is great to be able to put a face with some of the names you know ...

I'm in graduate school that weekend, but I am trying to negotiate an early release ... so I am hopeful that I will be able to be there ...

I think I'm also the official sponsor of the Sunday auction, so it would be a little embarassing to miss ...

Greg

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Can you attend these sessions spur of the moment? I don't know what my energy level will be by then, but if it is near back to normal I will want to attend for a day or two, probably Saturday and Sunday. Can you pay on arrival?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm sure the AGA will work a deal out for anyone.

I have some awesome scaping rocks, 400lbs of great basalt rock like ADA uses and have access to 3-5 tonnes more if someone drives or doesn't mind shipping etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jmr201

Junior Poster
Nov 10, 2006
Tom if you still have some of those rocks I would be interested in some. Could you post a pick?

Jusitn