Going Dutch with Aquasoil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fablau View Post

I don't know either, maybe the driving pump is too strong? I am using a Eheim compact 2000 (2000 l/h). How powerful is yours?
    Not sure about flow - they are API Filstar canisters and the spec is for 1350 l/hr. Roughly 350 gal.hr.

Comment

• I really like your tank, its one of my favs, and definitely what I'm trying to get mine to look like.

Comment

• Incredible how many plant species you have that I've never seen before. I found this post looking for Elatine triandra, and I found a lot more.

Comment

• Trying to find someone with ET, looks like you many not it anymore...

Comment

• I ran the 500 model with a SunSun rated at 526 gph. Actual flow with lean media inside about 300 gph, actual flow with the Sera connected ~120 gph.

You can go to the the Sera website and download the owners manual which gives the optimum flow range for each model. I used to have it but cant find it atm

* Edit; Found the page at least, on bottom you can download the pdf

https://www.sera.de/us/product/sera-...ctor-500-1000/
            Last edited by burr740; 03-16-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Rhodes View Post
              Trying to find someone with ET, looks like you many not it anymore...
              Hi Danny - thanks. Don't have Elatine triandra any longer. It was a somewhat fussy plant. It'd grow like a weed and suddenly a small patch would melt and the melt would spread. I had no idea what it was unhappy about. It's prone to melting while shipping, so not a lot of people seem to ship it around. I got mine from a guy in San Diego. It partially melted in one day that USPS transported it 150 miles north to where I am.

There is a small possibility that a root fragment with some DNA material is buried in the substrate somewhere and when eventually exposed to light, will grow into an Elatine plant. That's what happened last time. I had it removed from the tank for a year or so. And then - bam - out of nowhere, one little Elatine grew out of it. Then that turned to a carpet in no time. I've had several other plants come back from the grave this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by burr740 View Post
                I ran the 500 model with a SunSun rated at 526 gph. Actual flow with lean media inside about 300 gph, actual flow with the Sera connected ~120 gph.

You can go to the the Sera website and download the owners manual which gives the optimum flow range for each model. I used to have it but cant find it atm

* Edit; Found the page at least, on bottom you can download the pdf

https://www.sera.de/us/product/sera-...ctor-500-1000/
                Thank you Burr, the manual says "at least 700 l/h (185 US gal)"... so we are way over that. I am wondering if too much flow could cause mist in the tank and less dissolution. I see Pikez is using a less powerful pump than mine, but you used to use a more powerful one. Did you have ever noticed mist in your tank? Just curious...

Comment

• Originally posted by fablau View Post

Thank you Burr, the manual says "at least 700 l/h (185 US gal)"... so we are way over that. I am wondering if too much flow could cause mist in the tank and less dissolution. I see Pikez is using a less powerful pump than mine, but you used to use a more powerful one. Did you have ever noticed mist in your tank? Just curious...
                  Little to no mist. If I really pushed it, the first thing that would happen is a 2"-3" gas pocket up top

Comment

• Originally posted by burr740 View Post

Little to no mist. If I really pushed it, the first thing that would happen is a 2"-3" gas pocket up top
                    Ok, I will try again with a less powerful pump, thanks for the info. I always get a 4-5 inches pocket at the top, but I recycle Co2 in a closed loop, with 2 reactors and a cerges in series... Way too complicated. I'd like to simplify, and what Pikez has done is giving me the push to try again to reduce equipment and... Just simplify things

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikez View Post

I think misting is probably connected to CO2 bubbles getting sheared to a million micro-bubbles by sump pumps running at ungodly RPMs. I have never had a sump pump and I have NEVER had misting issues that so many people complain about.
                      I've always been a bit confused by this. Say I run the CO2 directly into the reactor and it dissolves. Then I replace the sump pump with a larger pump because I want to push more water into the tank. The flow is too fast and micro bubbles start to get pushed out into the tank. Which scenario results in a greater concentration of CO2 in the tank?

I do not think the first scenario is necessarily the correct answer because there is now a trade off between A) a lower volume of more concentrated CO2 being pushed into the tank; and B) a higher volume of less concentrated CO2 enriched water + CO2 micro bubbles being pushed into the tank.

In B) micro bubbles will continue to be dissolved, but inside the tank instead of the reactor.

What do people think?

Comment

• Originally posted by easternlethal View Post

I've always been a bit confused by this. Say I run the CO2 directly into the reactor and it dissolves. Then I replace the sump pump with a larger pump because I want to push more water into the tank. The flow is too fast and micro bubbles start to get pushed out into the tank. Which scenario results in a greater concentration of CO2 in the tank?

I do not think the first scenario is necessarily the correct answer because there is now a trade off between A) a lower volume of more concentrated CO2 being pushed into the tank; and B) a higher volume of less concentrated CO2 enriched water + CO2 micro bubbles being pushed into the tank.

In B) micro bubbles will continue to be dissolved, but inside the tank instead of the reactor.

What do people think?
                        I also have always been confused by that, but it is my understanding that smaller bubbles (better dissolution) will keep Co2 longer in the tank and will be better distributed around, which is a good thing. If so, logically, better NOT to see bubbles that seeing them, which would mean better dissolution.

In other words, A) should be better because B) would mean bigger bubbles in the tank that could easily escape at the surface having less time to further dissolute and being distributed around.

Am I correct?

Comment

• Easternlethal and Fab - I barely understand the question, I think this is above my pay grade. I am about as handy as a toddler. So I'll let professional gear heads like Tom and others take this one.

Comment

• Seriously overgrown.

Almost at the edge of acceptable biomass for the resources available. Still, there is a wild beauty to plants when they run amuck. I don't know if adding a few hundred fish has anything to do with it, but the tank has done really well in the last few weeks. Very steady, good growth, no stunting or any misbehavior, very little if any algae. I stuff the fish in the morning. All that ammonia may be just what the doctor ordered.

Center section of the tank (below).
                            Foreground: Echinodorus opacus, Rotala macrandra Variegated, Limnophila Mini Vietnam, Lobelia cardinalis Mini
                            Mid-ground: Nuphar lutea, Staurogyne 'Giant', Didiplis diandra, Barclaya longifolia
                            Background: Isoetes lacustris, Ludwigia Red Diamond/Rubin?, Limnophila sp. Fuzzy Aquatica, Pogostemon sp. Kimberley

Comment

• sorry if I missed some posts about this but.. this tank has been going for 2 years right? do you do anything to the substrate? Or is it all just dry ferts now?

Comment

• Originally posted by easternlethal View Post
                                sorry if I missed some posts about this but.. this tank has been going for 2 years right? do you do anything to the substrate? Or is it all just dry ferts now?
                                Yes, this substrate is 2 years old. I occasionally vacuum the substrate very lightly and delicately with sucky end of a Python. Usually when I uproot a large group of plants. Otherwise I don't do anything to the substrate. Don't plan to.

Yes, dry ferts for macros & GH and I use a CSM+B solution for traces.

Comment

Working...
                                X